Valued Contributor

Re: Who still dyes Easter eggs?

[ Edited ]

@DeniseColo

Yes, I do!  Smiley Happy

My heritage is Lithuanian and they, like other Eastern European countries, create beautiful designs on their eggs by using wax.

easter eggs.JPGeaster egg 2.JPG

To create designs on the eggs, I use a method where I apply melted beeswax (can use parafin but beeswax has a lower melting temperature).  My instrument is very high tech...a pencil with a pin or a small nail stuck into the eraser end!

(This year, I will try dipping the whole egg into beeswax after I have applied rubber bands around my egg.  I will take off some of the rubberbands and redip into different colors...hoping to create striped patterns.)

I learned when I was a child and believe, with supervision, melted beeswax is that dangerous.  A fondue pot can be used.

Note:  wax will not stick to cold eggs so the eggs must be room temperature.

This website explains how it is done:

http://www.rimarama.com/how-to-make-lithuanian-easter-eggs/

I will eat my hard boiled eggs, so I prefer making my dyes or using vegetable dyes.

I found this picture and recipes on Pinterest.  Red onion skin dye is beautiful! There are recipes on the internet.

040112_002

Simmer each of these for 30 minutes and strain out pieces:

To dye your eggs BLUE:
-2 cups chopped purple cabbage
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs GREY-BLUE:
-2-3 cups blueberries
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs PINK:
-1 beet, chopped
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs BROWN:
-2 cups of strongly brewed coffee
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs ORANGE:
-1-2 tablespoons paprika
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs YELLOW:
-1-2 tablespoons turmeric
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

To dye your eggs GREEN:
-3 cups chopped spinach
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon salt
-1 tablespoon vinegar

Happy decorating and Happy Easter!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandmother was Swiss.  We used to dye eggs using onion skins.  We would save the skins throughout the year.  We would dampen each egg with water, place a heavy layer of onion skins around the egg, and then wrap it with a piece of clean, old, white sheet and string.  (Smaller pieces of onion skin ultimately made a prettier design.)  We would place the wrapped eggs in a large kettle, cover them with water, and bring to a boil with a lid on the pan.  Then we would turn off the heat and let them continue to cook - I think for 20 minutes.  As usual, the eggs had to be drained and then rinsed with cold water.  When we would unwrap the eggs, they had beautiful mottled patterns in various shades of red, brown, green and yellow.  Sometimes there were white spots where the egg wasn't covered by an onion skin - never wanted that to happen.  LOL  Good memories.

Honored Contributor

I do!

I did it twice last month with grandkids for something to do on a rainy afternoon.  And they wanted to do it again the following week!

I kept some in the fridge for DH, but sent the rest home with them.  Lots of egg salad sandwiches, I'm sure.

And I'm vegan (it all started with the egg--no lie).

Honored Contributor

We do. Happening tonight, as a matter of fact. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

@DeniseColo

Yes, I do!  Smiley Happy

My heritage is Lithuanian and they, like other Eastern European countries, create beautiful designs on their eggs by using wax.

easter eggs.JPGeaster egg 2.JPG

To create designs on the eggs, I use a method where I apply melted beeswax (can use parafin but beeswax has a lower melting temperature).  My instrument is very high tech...a pencil with a pin or a small nail stuck into the eraser end!

(This year, I will try dipping the whole egg into beeswax after I have applied rubber bands around my egg.  I will take off some of the rubberbands and redip into different colors...hoping to create striped patterns.)

I learned when I was a child and believe, with supervision, melted beeswax is that dangerous.  A fondue pot can be used.

Note:  wax will not stick to cold eggs so the eggs must be room temperature.

This website explains how it is done:

http://www.rimarama.com/how-to-make-lithuanian-easter-eggs/

My maternal grandparents were from (the) Ukraine and these eggs are similar to what I will be doing later today with our Grands.  I did the designs last night. (I use wax and a straight pin stuck into a pencil eraser) The Grands will do the dyeing.
Esteemed Contributor

I was not going to but I found a video on YouTube using shaving cream, vinegar, food coloring, gloves & a drying rack, the eggs take on a marbled effect, I think I am going to try that either tonight or tomorrow night, it looked like so much fun!

Honored Contributor

Just a tip to make your colored eggs look better.  Oil them with some oil and a paper towel to make them shiny. They are really beautiful this way,  my MIL was was Europe and she always did this. It really makes a difference.

Honored Contributor

I don't do eggs at all, but ...

HappyEaster.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Shorty2UI enjoy dying eggs, and look forward to it every year. It is a tradition I am not willing to let go. I have never heard of Hinkles, and would really like to try it. I wonder if it is available at Wal-Mart. 

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I dye a few as part of my centerpiece on the dining table.