Honored Contributor

My motto is if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! It doesn't matter what health insurance I have, something goes wrong. I went to the gynecologist July 25, I had my woman's wellness visit and had a pap smear. Well today I get a bill from Quest Lab for $535.53! The problem is Quest is out of network for my insurance. I called the insurance company and Quest didn't even file a claim with them! Shouldn't the doctor's office know which lab to send the specimen to? Now I have to call the lab and give them my insurance information and have them bill the insurance company, then take it from there.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My motto is if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! It doesn't matter what health insurance I have, something goes wrong. I went to the gynecologist July 25, I had my woman's wellness visit and had a pap smear. Well today I get a bill from Quest Lab for $535.53! The problem is Quest is out of network for my insurance. I called the insurance company and Quest didn't even file a claim with them! Shouldn't the doctor's office know which lab to send the specimen to? Now I have to call the lab and give them my insurance information and have them bill the insurance company, then take it from there.

I work for a doctor and we always check on what insurances different labs takes.  It's also the patient's responsibility to know what companies your insurance is in network with.  You took the insurance out so I would assume you know what they cover and what they don't cover.  I wouldn't have taken Federal Blue Cross without knowing what blood labs they participate in and what doctor's are in network.  

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I work for a doctor and we always check on what insurances different labs takes.  It's also the patient's responsibility to know what companies your insurance is in network with.  You took the insurance out so I would assume you know what they cover and what they don't cover.  I wouldn't have taken Federal Blue Cross without knowing what blood labs they participate in and what doctor's are in network.  

@Blingqueen023, I worked for a doctor and always made sure I sent the lab work to the correct lab for the patient's insurance. I would have been in big trouble if I made a mistake.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have given a thought to what lab was going to process my tests, assuming the doctor would send it to one that was approved.  Most patients wouldn't have the moxie to know to do that. 

My favorite scam to which I fell victim years ago... You go to an approved hospital ER and are seen by a doctor.  Later you receive a bill for 100% of the doctors bill because the doctor is employed by an agency, not the hospital.  Now how in the world would a patient know that?  Why would you ask every hospital employee by whom they're employed?  That's just deliberate déception.  Non-disclosure.  I paid what the insurance allowed and refused to pay more but was hounded for years by a collection agency. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My husband and I just chose a new insurance carrier.  One of the important determinants was the quality and availability of in-network care providers.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will always specify where my Labs go, I have been scr**wed" too often

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The office will not always share your insurance info.

Here's a good one my hubby was treated at a local ER this June, all the bills except one went to our current insurance,not sure how one went astray and was sent to our prior insurance

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Blingqueen023, I worked for a doctor and always made sure I sent the lab work to the correct lab for the patient's insurance. I would have been in big trouble if I made a mistake.

@Jordan2 Exactly!  I have a whole listing in my office of blood labs, x-ray labs, etc with all the insurances listed.  Every doctor's office should have that.  We get them from the Reps that visit our office.  They hand out their prescription pads along with the insurance companies they accept.  I still say it's also part of the patient's responsibility to know who takes their insurance and who doesn't.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The office will not always share your insurance info.

Here's a good one my hubby was treated at a local ER this June, all the bills except one went to our current insurance,not sure how one went astray and was sent to our prior insurance

@I am still oxox,There's no excuse for that one!  So sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

If your doctor is in network the insurance company should have covered a test if it's included in the wellness exam.  I'd argue that one with the insurance company.