Respected Contributor

Re: Who or what do you miss the most in 2020?

@Jordan2 wrote:

I took care of my elderly mother for years, I have no regrets in doing so. She passed away on January 31, there were so many things I didn’t get to do because I couldn’t be away for too long from her. I am a Mets fan, I have never been to Citi Field, I was looking forward to maybe going to a game. I would have also liked to have seen a Broadway show, and go to a concert.

@Jordan2 

Very brave of you to pronounce that you are a Mets fan! I am too. You will be able to enjoy a game at Citi field in the future, so there's something for you to anticipate. I've been there, it's great, but I still miss Shea!!! Taking care of your mom is something you can be proud of! Let me know when you go to a game, maybe I'll see you in the stands. Let's Go, Mets Go!

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

That's so sad, @Carmie .  Similar to what happened to my father.  May I ask how old your friend is?

She just recently turned 83... a widow with no children.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I took care of my elderly mother for years, I have no regrets in doing so. She passed away on January 31, there were so many things I didn’t get to do because I couldn’t be away for too long from her. I am a Mets fan, I have never been to Citi Field, I was looking forward to maybe going to a game. I would have also liked to have seen a Broadway show, and go to a concert.

@Jordan2 

Very brave of you to pronounce that you are a Mets fan! I am too. You will be able to enjoy a game at Citi field in the future, so there's something for you to anticipate. I've been there, it's great, but I still miss Shea!!! Taking care of your mom is something you can be proud of! Let me know when you go to a game, maybe I'll see you in the stands. Let's Go, Mets Go!

@KBEANS it gets worse, I'm a Jets fan too!

Trusted Contributor

I miss my children and grandchildren. They live in different states and I haven't seen them since last year. I usually visit each of them once a year and we usually do a family reunion in the summer, but of course that was out this year. I miss the summer festivals, particularly the Erie County Fair and a couple of the art festivals here in Western NY. I miss the summer outdoor concerts. I am an introvert and do not normally socialize a whole lot so in that respect my life hasn't changed all that much. I have continued to do Meals on Wheels throughout the pandemic and have continued my guitar lessons via Facetime. Sometimes when I feel the walls closing in, I'll go for a ride out in the country or up to Niagara Falls. Other than that, it's just one day at a time.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

@KBEANS it gets worse, I'm a Jets fan

LOL MY GIRL!

I haven't been a Jets Fan since Number 12 left! 😝 

Esteemed Contributor

I miss hanging out with my friends and family. 

I will always miss my cruises. 

Honored Contributor

There's nothing or no one in specific I miss the most. What I miss most is something I, and probably many of us, didn't even realize was so special and that is the absolute freedom to venture out, wherever we might have chosen, without having to worry about it... without having to worry about others getting too close... without having to wear a stifling mask... Everything was open, stores were well stocked, visiting or heading out didn't require deep thought and looking over one's shoulder was minimal... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew  Ignore them... I saw no 'jab'... Those who did were really reaching and one might wonder if they were projecting...

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Nancy Drew  Ignore them... I saw no 'jab'... Those who did were really reaching and one might wonder if they were projecting...

@stevieb 

Thank you for that.  I don't normally criticize my friends that I miss. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

There's no going back. The boats are burned. We have to keep moving forward. Things can't be like they used to be. We will see our friends and loved ones again. But everything else has changed.

I relate to missing things and people and activities from 2019. But I can't dwell on that because for me that would be a counterproductive waste of time. Others are free to do so if they consider it a good idea.

Also I noticed the original post's subtle jab at people "staying in their houses." That continual insult needs to stop. People don't avoid activities that may lack social distancing or mask wearing due to fear. Rather they avoid them due to smart assessment of cause and effect. It can just as easily be said that it is highly irresponsible to pressure people to socialize with you if they do not feel the situation would be safe for them.

Your thinking seems erroneous... For good reason, a certain level of fear would appear to be part of that assessment... It certainly has been among many folks I know... No, it's not unmitigated terror, but it certainly does reflect a level of discomfort that goes beyond mere concern. I'd also note that I didn't interpret the original remarks as a jab. The poster merely observed that her good friends had stayed at home now for months. I also don't recall reading that she tried to pressure anyone into any kind of social situation... My disagreement with @Nancy Drew is only related to the 'thing' she misses... Even before this debacle, I'm not sure what it would have taken to persuade me to go on a cruise, but it would have been a lot...

Smiley Happy