Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who or What Didn't Your Parents Trust?

Our parents never trusted us to go on sleepovers. And working for CPS now, I totally get it now.

Esteemed Contributor

My father never wanted me to get on a motorcycle..

Honored Contributor

My parents pretty much trusted everybody.  I always remember being taught there were good and bad people no matter what color they were.  I think about some of things I was allowed to do as a child it was a wonder I wasn't taken away by CPS! lol.  

Honored Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

The gas station scam that we wary of was this:  the attendant would dip the stick into your oil receptacle by your engine to check the level, making sure you weren’t running low.  He would then bring the stick to the driver’s window to show how far up in the stick the oil had reached.  An unscrupulous attendant would be sure to show oil very low on the stick so that you would have to buy a can of oil. That was a typical way to sell a can of oil to you whether you needed it or not.

@Twoaces  True! But that's not why my dad got out if the car. He always checked the oil himself so he knew when it needed oil.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My Dad was a trusting person but he was smart about things regarding his business. When we moved from NJ to a small PA town, Dad opened an office. He wanted to put up a nice hand painted wooden sign outside his business and went to the zoning office(?) to secure a permit before putting the sign up.  He told the zoning officer about the sign, they shook hands and the guy gave Dad permission. But Dad told him he wasn’t leaving without an officially issued permit signed and dated by that officer. The guy chuckled and told him it wasn’t needed. This was a small town and his word was all that was required. But he humored my dad and gave him an official document. 

Years later the town created a committee to control all kinds of things within the town, including the design and appearance of buildings, and certain things, like signs. Someone from the new committee visited my dad one day and told Dad his sign had to go. Dad reached into his file, produced the permit and the guy sputtered, stammered and told my dad he could keep the sign. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dad didn't trust door-to-door salesmen in the 1950s, or maybe he just didn't have the patience to listen to them! My mother trusted most everyone and didn't want to hurt a person's feelings. If my mother let a salesman in the house, my dad would move to the kitchen and just listen...when he'd had enough he'd walk in the living room and tell the guy it was "time to wrap it up"!

Honored Contributor

Growing up my parents did not like a group of boys standing on a corner.    My parents thought they were up to no good and did not trust them.  My brothers were not allowed to stand on corners with other boys.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

No idea, they never said, I never asked. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

No idea, they never said, I never asked. 

@qualitygal I didn't ever discuss what I wrote in my OP with my father; it was the result of observation.

Honored Contributor

I remember Mom or Daddy saying, "Here comes Kenny, close the door or don't open the door."  I never to this day knew why and have no one to ask.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee