Super Contributor

Re: Who or What Didn't Your Parents Trust?

The gas station scam that we wary of was this:  the attendant would dip the stick into your oil receptacle by your engine to check the level, making sure you weren’t running low.  He would then bring the stick to the driver’s window to show how far up in the stick the oil had reached.  An unscrupulous attendant would be sure to show oil very low on the stick so that you would have to buy a can of oil. That was a typical way to sell a can of oil to you whether you needed it or not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only thing I can think of is my parents and the rest of the family don’t trust my cousin. He was always in trouble as a kid and adult. Got into lots of fights. Stole money and valuables from lots of family members, including his own mother. Smooth talker & con man. In and out of prison. After many years of trying to help him legally & get him in rehab for drug addiction, his mother and the rest of us gave up.

Every time our family has a funeral, birthday, wedding, or anniversary he shows up. He showed up at the funeral of my parents several years ago. The last time I saw him was about 3 years ago. His came to see his mother who was very ill in a nursing home. She died a few weeks later and he was at her funeral. He seemed sober & sincere, but it’s so difficult to trust someone who’s lied repeatedly to you for years. 

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 I had the same situation with my brother. He was 2 years older and I always heard he's a boy and 2 years older. I hated that. He was also 6'4" by the time he was 12. I understand it now but sure didn't like it then.

We knew not to talk to my mother during checkout at the grocery store. She knew her prices and watched that she was charged correctly.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

One or two of my boyfriends!

Honored Contributor

My ma had paranoia.   She thought everyone was spying on her, plotting against her, trying to cheat her.   We did not speak of her "problem".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents weren't very trusting at all. 

They said at one time they were very trusting thinking if they didn't do certain things or hurt others, no one would do that to them.  They learned the hard way and became very distrusting of people.  Watch out for users, hangers on, the needy, those who come on too strong, dishonesty.

He also doesn't trust the overly emotional, sensitive types.  He thinks they have a hidden agenda.  

My father also doesn't trust repair services.  He is always concerned about them bungling the job or being overcharged.  

He always had his houses built from the ground up and, of course, didn't trust the contractors, so every day as much as he could he supervised the construction saying he didn't want them sneaking inferior construction materials into the house.  

He had become distrustful of a lot of things; however, he says regardless of how careful he was in the past, the distrust was a result of experience.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Don't ask me why, but a thought from my childhood occurred to me today. When I was growing up, gas stations were not self serve. An attendant came out and pumped however much gas you told him you'd pay for (yes him, I never saw a female come out) and he'd wipe off the windshield and ask if you wanted him to check the oil.

Well, my father never trusted the guy to pump the amount he asked for which was ridiculous because you could see the amount if the sale on the pump before you drove off! (I don't remember receipts being given). For some illogical reason my father always got out of the car, even in the snow in winter,  to watch the attendant pump the gas to make sure he didn't cheat my father out of any.  My mother never did that. I guess she just looked at the amount of sale on the pump before she drove off if she even cared at all.  Looking back, I think my father was completely irrational about this but he never trusted the attendant to pump  the amount of gas my dad was paying for!

My Dad always got out of the car too when gas was being pumped into his car.  But for him, I think he felt a bit emasculated by sitting in the car while another man filled up the tank and checked the oil.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

My father didn't trust politicians.  Said they're all crooks.  And my mother didn't trust me.  LOL.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Interesting replies but I was thinking more in terms of parents not trusting in regard to themselves rather than in regard to their children (like in my OP where it was my dad not wanting to be cheated).

@CrazyDaisy  I suspect you are younger than I am.  Did you pump gas for people in the 1960s? I don't think there were female attendants then.

Early 1970s, before self serve was an option.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

My Mother did not trust eating someone's food or baked goods if you didnt know them well enough to know they had done it in a clean or safe kitchen.  Where the food came from.

I don't think she trusted the church as only gave a dollar a week yet attended and taught Sunday School. I was a "good girl" and never would have thought to disobey but she never trusted me either. I remember my GFs Dad saying he trusted her but not the boys.