Honored Contributor

Re: Who is your pick to replace Matt Lauer on Today Show?

I think they should bring back Ann Curry and pay her what they were paying Matt Lauer.  Now, that would be karma.

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

I think Willie Geist could be a problem. There is a film circulating that shows Willie 'pretend' sexually assaulting Matt Lauer. He appears to grab Matt between the legs as he is bending over something with his back to Willie.

Both are laughing about it, after the 'grab'. I don't think this would go over too well in today's climate. They were making fun of a serious problem.

It appears to be something they planned ahead of time, to be funny.

@garmer  I found this hard to believe, so I Googled it.  Nothing came up.  Can you tell me where you saw this?  I'm wondering if it was a credible website, or if the video was somehow photoshopped or whatever the word would be when it's a video.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@garmer wrote:

I think Willie Geist could be a problem. There is a film circulating that shows Willie 'pretend' sexually assaulting Matt Lauer. He appears to grab Matt between the legs as he is bending over something with his back to Willie.

Both are laughing about it, after the 'grab'. I don't think this would go over too well in today's climate. They were making fun of a serious problem.

It appears to be something they planned ahead of time, to be funny.

@garmer  I found this hard to believe, so I Googled it.  Nothing came up.  Can you tell me where you saw this?  I'm wondering if it was a credible website, or if the video was somehow photoshopped or whatever the word would be when it's a video.

I just saw the video.  It was of Willie Geist --- seriously never heard of the guy --- slapping Matt Lauer on the butt.  Matt was then pretending to be really upset about it like it was a sexual assault.  The Today Show "reported" on it like it was a real workplace sexual assault case.  Bet they feel stupid about that now.

Honored Contributor

Craig Melvin pulls ahead.  (Referring to the previous post here.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@GraceCO wrote:

Willie Geist is my pick.

He seems to be a favorite here.  Not sure why but I don’t find him engaging.  His dad though was always a favorite of mine on Sunday Morning.

@tansy

I used to feel that way about Willie Geist, but he's improved a lot as a regular on Morning Joe. His interviewing skills are very strong now IMO and he is a charming & sincerely nice guy. He will grow into the role.

I remember when Bryant Gumbel left the Today Show feeling those were big shoes to fill and when Matt Lauer was hired, he just seemed like such a disappointment. Ditto for Savannah Guthrie.

I think Willie Geist is an obvious choice, but we shall see what they do. One thing is for sure...they cannot make a mistake here. A lot is riding on this decision and they'll rely on viewer opinion, research, etc.

Respected Contributor

Don't really care, do not watch NBC; only stream some of their evening programs via HULU.......

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

@golding76

Hadn't thought about him...yes, he has a good shot at Lauer's spot for sure!

Frequent Contributor

@GraceCO wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

@golding76

Hadn't thought about him...yes, he has a good shot at Lauer's spot for sure!

I agree about Craig Melvin. 

Respected Contributor

Matt Lauer!

Respected Contributor

Just unplug the TV....it's feels great.   Smiley Happy