Honored Contributor

Re: Who is still working during this?

[ Edited ]

We are retired, but we have really lost on our investments. It is what it is. My pension is a good amount, but I am skeptical that those who manage it, scoundrels that they are, may have been playing fast and loose with our money. We should find that out in the next month or so. Am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am most worried about those who depend only upon Social Security as their income. They have trouble making ends meet as it is, but to be put in this situation is even worse. I am praying daily for anyone impacted by this terrible situation...and that is all of us!

Super Contributor

I am a freelance professional violinist. All of my performances for the rest of the season (through the end of April) have been canceled, along with wedding and other scheduled gigs. Two things have been rescheduled for July and August. In addition, I teach violin lessons, and will begin doing it online via Zoom on Tuesday. I'm nervous about it, but I'll just do the best I can. I have been prepping by taking online seminars and consulting with colleagues who are in the same boat. Third, I work for Weight Watchers (WW), and we have begun hosting our workshops online, again via the Zoom app. It's been good, and our members are happy to see us and get the support and community they need.

I am grateful that as a retired teacher, I have a pension check each month. My husband has been looking for work in his field for 1.5 years. In the meantime, he has been working at Starbucks about 20 hours a week. They are still open for drive-through and delivery orders, so he is still going to work.

We will get through this.

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2U I think it sounds like a temporary layoff.  I would be very surprised if a big company just let 8000 people go.  This way he can get unemployment and still keep his vacation time.  That being said, I don't know how it works for insurance if you are laid off.  

Like many others, I'm working from home.  

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U 

I’m still working full time. I expect to get set up to work from home this week. Social distancing at work with extra cleaning of common spaces and washing my hands a lot.

Respected Contributor

I am working from home--a steep learning curve, but I am happy to try.

Esteemed Contributor

Hubs retired in January and he's going a little bonkers. All his plans... but that's okay. We're not complaining.

I'm 'on call' from campus, paid to stay home and answer questions, through Apr 6 but my city announced they'll be essential business only until Apr 24th. Time will tell. 

Single daughter is minimal flights for major airline - F/A. I am concerned for her. She's young, but that doesn't matter. Limited travel means less money. She's concerned, but she does have parents who will be her safety net. Older daughter is teacher and she'll find out more later. Special Education. Son in law working more from home. His dental surgery is on hold except for essential. Son is remodeler for local company. Didn't work 2 days last week. Single parent with full custody. He's a wreck, but again, he has parents nearby as safety net. I keep telling the two worried ones to relax but glad they don't want to take advantage of our help. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I am working...All the jobs at my company have the option for working at home thanks to technology....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U 

First, I'm so sorry for the difficulties you're (& everyone else) going through.  Life is very tough for so many people now.  I believe prayer is the best way to guide us all through this pandemic & our "new norm."

I'm still working but I don't think many of us know for how long.  This illness has a ripple effect; i.e., supply lines, etc.  We've been receiving emails from various vendors & customers with updates regarding precautions they're all taking, supply lines, etc.  There's always the possibility of Governors restricting more businesses & our lives as we know it.

On the upbeat, I try my best to not stress.  This can cause more illness and difficulties none of us need.  Friday afternoon, I just decided I'm going to try my best to just look forward & try to be as optimistic as possible.  I can't look at my 401K any more, it's down so much.  This is upsetting because I was planning on retiring in 3/21 - now, who knows?

Many of us are in the same boat.  We need to keep prayers going, while supporting each other & as a country, stay strong.

Lastly, I thank all the medical professionals, all first responders & the many volunteers that are helping so many.  It makes my heart happy.

Stay well,  Heart

Contributor

I am a home health worker. I am still working because I have two ladies that depend on me to be there. My husband is a plumber and if his work slows down, which I'm sure it will if it gets bad in our town, my paycheck will be crucial. I pray me and my husband and family stay healthy and I can keep my clients healthy and everyone every where stays healthy.

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

I am a speech/language pathologist that works in the school system.  My school district closed on Monday until 3/27 but I am assuming we will be closed longer than that.  I am a contractor so if I don't work I don't get paid; however, my contracting company did pay me for this past week.  I don't know if they will do this for the duration. 

Boy who knew getting paid would create such problems!  My contracting company automatically sends my timesheet to my school prinicipal.  Of course she is questioning why she received a timesheet if I didn't work and I understand her confusion.  Instead of my contracting company just contacting her and telling her it was a mistake to send her the timesheet and to ignore it - that the contracing company is paying me for last week, they are giving me the run around.  I am really beginning to think my contact company hopes the school district will just blindly reimburse them for last week which is NOT COOL.