Honored Contributor

Re: Who is still working during this?

Still working in a hospital as a psychiatric nurse.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still working & going in to my small office 5 people total. We have option to work from home.  It is a home care franchise . We are busy .  Many caregivers took leave of abscence , due to child care issues & some retiree's due to their age.  We will see what next week brings 

Respected Contributor

My husband and I are retired but our son is a family doctor specializing in pediatrics.  Needless to say, he is still working A LOT. He and his wife have 4 children so to keep them all safe(r), he is staying at a "suites" hotel, near the practice.  We've been trying to help our DIL when possible.

Honored Contributor

I am still working. I work for a law firm.

DH is at home but on call.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I am retired.  DD works at a law office and is working from home.  We are in PA and the Gov. closed all non-life sustaining businesses.

My son is still working.  He works for a cable company and he has to go into people's houses.  He said they are to call the people first and see if anyone is sick.

He laughed and said "yeah, like people won't lie."  But at least he has a job.  I spoke to him yesterday, and although he lives near me, he is staying away from my house because he is in and out of strange houses every day. I will be 70 and have a couple health issues.  

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

We’re looking at the flip side of this situation.  Cox Communications tech is coming today because cable went out after they changed something on a pole down the block. So we have no choice but to let someone in to change/ repair our inside equipment. 

I have disposable shower caps by the door for him to cover his shoes, and sanitizer to squirt on his hands as he enters.  Will wipe everything down with Lysol when he leaves.  Blessings to your son and his co-workers!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I work from home and DH works mostly from home (a lot moreso currently), so we are relatively snug and safe in our little home office setups. What I don't love is that I can't go work somewhere else like Starbucks when I want to get away from things.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@sissel wrote:

This is something and in a few more weeks get ready. Hope you know how to cook & figure it out. /we are told to decorate our Christmas lights & some shopping centers are doing it also to bring some fun into the neighborhoods. I have some Easter decorations out. Have a site called nextdoorneighbors.com enter your zipcode & find out what is going on full of info about your shopping & what is going on. 

I'm not a fan of fear mongering. I prefer to be optimistic.  We are a strong country and we will get through this. 

I think calling what is going on right now fear mongering might really be missing the mark. 

One can be as optimistic as they want to be, but that without proper preparing and precautions is still leaving many people all over the world, in dire circumstances. Italy's death toll for just the last day was reported at almost 800. That is 800 people more, gone in just one day, in just one country. Their death count has been high like that for days now.

Numbers like that, and the one family in NJ that already lost four members, others critical, aren't fear mongering. They are real people suffering real loss and tragedy. 

I wouldn't discount that by calling it fear mongering.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m still working, they are allowing working from home the next two weeks but you have to justify it and I can’t do 8 hours of work from home so in I shall go. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@sissel wrote:

This is something and in a few more weeks get ready. Hope you know how to cook & figure it out. /we are told to decorate our Christmas lights & some shopping centers are doing it also to bring some fun into the neighborhoods. I have some Easter decorations out. Have a site called nextdoorneighbors.com enter your zipcode & find out what is going on full of info about your shopping & what is going on. 

I'm not a fan of fear mongering. I prefer to be optimistic.  We are a strong country and we will get through this. 

I think calling what is going on right now fear mongering might really be missing the mark. 

One can be as optimistic as they want to be, but that without proper preparing and precautions is still leaving many people all over the world, in dire circumstances. Italy's death toll for just the last day was reported at almost 800. That is 800 people more, gone in just one day, in just one country. Their death count has been high like that for days now.

Numbers like that, and the one family in NJ that already lost four members, others critical, aren't fear mongering. They are real people suffering real loss and tragedy. 

I wouldn't discount that by calling it fear mongering.

I am very current on what is going on in the world. Facts are fine and no lectures are needed.  My comment was based on the first sentence in her post.   

Trusted Contributor

Husband and I are senior retired couple but unable to isolate ourselves at home because daughter and husband work in medical/emergency response fields and have nobody to watch their young children while they're at work (12 hour days). Children have electronic schoolwork to do each day (and lots of it) so we must spend our days with them at their home. Certainly not safe for any of us and not what CDC recommends, but what choice do we have?  I'm sure there are many folks in difficult situations which is why I'm guessing it will be a very long time until we see this virus play out.