Respected Contributor

Re: Who is still out of work and who returned?

[ Edited ]

I've been working remotely with an occasional foray into the office, all masked up. I know several who have lost hospitality industry jobs (restaurant managers).

Can't wait til there is a safe vaccine (no fast tracks!--people should learn a little about the perils of not testing). A working vaccine would improve things a lot.

I even miss co-workers who often are annoying to me. Working virtually makes me feel like a disembodied voice.  Ewww.  I found staying home soothing for about a week. 

Thank goodness for my serene little rescue cat.  It's like sharing space with a Buddha.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I've been working remotely with an occasional foray into the office, all masked up. I know several who have lost hospitality industry jobs (restaurant managers).

Can't wait til there is a safe vaccine (no fast tracks!--people should learn a little about the perils of not testing). A working vaccine would improve things a lot.

I even miss co-workers who often are annoying to me. Working virtually makes me feel like a disembodied voice.  Ewww.  I found staying home soothing for about a week. 

Thank goodness for my serene little rescue cat.  It's like sharing space with a Buddha.

@Burnsite, we should all remain very vigilant in our reaction to any shortcuts whatsoever. Something like that would not only be dangerous but also would make even more people to become wary of vaccines. Step 3 is crucial.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

Oh, that is indeed a real thing.

Those that live one generation to the next on government programs know which states have the best benefits, what all the criteria are, and follow the benefits. 

Shoekitty said...oh give me break   .people that can not come up with first and last rent, let alone pay the rent, are traveling all over the country to get highest  free handouts.?  Baloney. 

It's a regular trope used against a certain segment of the population to say "they" are lazy and don't want to work and just do drugs. It's so gross and it is very yuck to see it here. It did not need to be brought up and should not have.

Bottom line, like it or not, welfare benefits vary by state. Much of the funding is federal, but it is given to the states to set into programs as they see fit/needs for in their communities. Benefits and programs can vary widely by state.

People who live generationally on the system (and again you can like it or not, it exists and is very real) know which states have the benefits that best meet their needs, keep tabs on the benefits of other states, and do indeed make the move to get higher/more benefits.

No Baloney about it. 

Not everyone does it, and they don't need first and last months rent to do it. They only need transportation to the new area.  When they get there,they are going to find programs for free or nearly free housing, free healthcare, free day care, (sometimes even when they don't have a job), free education, higher snap benefits, free or low cost utilities, free repairs on their cars (yep it's a real thing, and they often get them fixed and sell them) and others.

And if they do get a job and can quality for special financing based on income for housing, there are programs that allow them to have the house renovated (roof, windows, insulation, plumbing, electrical, kitchens, baths, flooring....) and then they can sell the house in as little three years, and only have to pay back like 15% of what the cost of that rehab was.

A statement was made that a poster would never think to follow the benefits, and people don't think it happens. I worked in social service agencies, as did my ex husband. My husband and I work(ed) in businesses that serve or employ people on those benefits. We dealt directly with the programs and benefits and people. You can love the benefits or hate them. You can love the people using them, or hate them. I'm simply making the  point that people do follow the benefits. It's a real thing.

Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Thank you. Me, too!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I am in Healthcare Consulting - my company has been working all this time, but in March almost all of us went remote (I was still going in a few days here and there when working on a proposal or something big and didn't want to take a chance of losing network connection).

In June they broke us into 2 teams (Blue & Yellow) - each team came back to office for three weeks and then it went to two weeks in office/two weeks at home (this is my second week of working from home, but planning to go to office Thurs & Fri as no Yellow team people sit near me so I will be okay). Some of our co-workers in MN are being re-assigned to new spaces and after labor day they will be expected to come in every day.

Our org is pushing for people to actually come back to the office instead of work from home, because the type of contracts we have, we can charge more per person for Overhead expenses when they are in office compared to remote.

My brother is a restaurant worker in CA (works in kitchen) his hours were reduced in March and once they were able to open he started working more but was still not getting a full 40 hrs, then when the Govenor shut down indoor dining his hours were reduced again, so yes he could usethat money the Govt had been sending out.

Trusted Contributor

im lucky that i work in a hospital, and i wasnt laid off or out of a job.. i consider myself very lucky.. i feel sorry for the people that were..

Esteemed Contributor

It's my understanding that unemployment benefits are paid on the wages of the qualifying state you lived in. Florida pays 8 weeks. Even if you skip out of Florida and move to a generous state like Washington, you get paid Florida's rate and terms. Not Washington.

Cash benefits like welfare are limited to a lifetime of 36 mos. total. Michigan was the last state to implement the federal limit. Data matching will limit your migration.

Super Contributor

@Burnsite, we should all remain very vigilant in our reaction to any shortcuts whatsoever. Something like that would not only be dangerous but also would make even more people to become wary of vaccines. Step 3 is crucial.

OK.  State the facts ! ! !

Honored Contributor

Salons just reopened today. CA. I have an appointment next week.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Salons just reopened today. CA. I have an appointment next week.

Not in L.A. County, @bikerbabe.

Enjoy your appointment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland