Honored Contributor

Re: Who is still out of work and who returned?

@shoekitty wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

Oh, that is indeed a real thing.

Those that live one generation to the next on government programs know which states have the best benefits, what all the criteria are, and follow the benefits. 

Shoekitty said...oh give me break   .people that can not come up with first and last rent, let alone pay the rent, are traveling all over the country to get highest  free handouts.?  Baloney. 

It's a regular trope used against a certain segment of the population to say "they" are lazy and don't want to work and just do drugs. It's so gross and it is very yuck to see it here. It did not need to be brought up and should not have.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Most who are unemployed want to work, not receive a handout.  Because of the pandemic as well as other factors, the economic divide is growing.  Here in Silicon Valley, there are folks getting richer by the day with their stock options, while small business owners are getting crushed.  

Valued Contributor

I have been furloughed since April and learned this week that my job has been eliminated. My industry has been severely hurt by fear of COVID. I am devastated.
Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:
I have been furloughed since April and learned this week that my job has been eliminated. My industry has been severely hurt by fear of COVID. I am devastated.

Shoekitty said,     I just so sorry.    It is  a huge deal  to face what you are facing.  I hope things work out soon for you.

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

I hope you find something even better to do that makes your heart sing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@porcelain @shoekitty
Thank you for your kind words. I loved my job and was very good at it. I appreciate both of your good thoughts and wishes.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

Oh, that is indeed a real thing.

Those that live one generation to the next on government programs know which states have the best benefits, what all the criteria are, and follow the benefits. 

@Mominohio 

But those people were almost certainly already in a state with good benefits and probably were not employed at the time so many lost their jobs because of the pandemic. They are after long term benefits not temporary unemployment benefits. That is a completely different conversation. 

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@sassenach1 

I’m so very sorry! 

Valued Contributor

@wildbob thank you. Until March, I was a Road Warrior with over 200 flights per year, out of town four days a week. It was a fabulous job.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry, @sassenach1. I hope that you find another equally good job!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland