Honored Contributor

Re: Who is still out of work and who returned?

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am so thankful that both DH and I are retired and do not have to deal with worrying about work.. income... etc.  We can stay home and safe as much as we can stay safe. I do appreciate those who are working to keep our stores and such up and running more than they know.

@SeaMaiden, we are in a similar situation, although my husband is still working (which he can do from home).

Those like us are indeed very lucky not to have to worry about all the components of this pandemic.

But we should not forget that this crisis is further enlarging the divide between those in relative comfort, those who can stay and/or work from home and those cannot do so and who face slippering even farther down the latter.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

School is playing it cautious.  I'm still working at home.  Starting on Aug 27 University opens up with (largely Freshman) until Thanksgiving break.  Then go back to online. I will be campus then working on the books, part time.  The rest of the time online.  I really dislike this arrangement but I've got to do it.  Will also be tested for the first time. 

Freshman must be there for orientation and instruction on working online.  Which will take effect after Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

I just got my hair cut and my stylist had moved to another salon; she said only 6 out of the 24 stylists in her old location survived the total shutdown so they are still out of work. I was so sad to hear that; these are cash-only workers who have no benefits provided by the salon owners, so they are all suffering; most are single mothers.
Respected Contributor

@springers wrote:

I work for the school we went modified schedule in March (pay was unchanged). I'm going back Friday and not sure what to expect. We are virtual for now.

Im looking forward to returning but not looking forward to the "new normal".

Have you returned? 

@springers   As scary as the thought must be for you to return to school, at least you have a job. 

My daughter, who has a college degree and 20 years experience in the industry was let go permanently.  She worked in the aeronautical field.  We just heard that Boeing is laying off another 16,000 people.   

Hard, scary times for many people.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone who was a server, hairdresser, lost their job.  Some are returning, but I would venture to guess 80% are still out of work.  People underestimate the number of servers, restaurant workers  in this country.  It is a major industry.  Sure some kept their jobs, on a limited basis.. to do take out.  But since there  was no in house dining for most cities all those  dish  washers, bussers, servers, hosts are still not working. The evictions are starting, and homelessness will become rampant.  

the only people who have kept their jobs are probably those connected to bigger business and medical.  My one daughter is in medical and has never stopped, another is in legal dept of a major insurance company.  They are going permanently to home office. 

i live in California, near Silicon Valley.  There is going to be a huge office vacancy problem as more and  more companies  here are going to home office.  More and more home workers will lead to less need for child care, and certain services.  I think working from home here in California is great.  People where I live spend 3-4 hours a day traveling to work.  As housing became more expensive in the Bay Area people moved to outskirts.  Where I live is the outskirts now , lol.  Any further out is another hour travel, lol.

we have only begun to deal wiith this  mess.  I have no doubt we will get through it.  But there is going to be a big change in how we work, and the businesses that go forward.

Super Contributor

The school where I teach closed in March, but we're opening up again soon! Right now I'm just doing room prep and lesson planning, in a totally different way than what I've always done in the past, but I'm excited to be back and can't wait for the kids to come!

Honored Contributor

No one we know lost a job during this event (blessing!). Many were working even more. A few went to exclusively working from home. My son lost a part time evening job (his full time, day job was not effected) for a couple of months but was called back to that one as well. 

We know no one who has tested positive, and we don't know anyone who knows anyone who has. 

I have to wonder how common our situation is....... or is not.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

Oh, that is indeed a real thing.

Those that live one generation to the next on government programs know which states have the best benefits, what all the criteria are, and follow the benefits. 

Respected Contributor

I am still working from home and I hate it.  I am so ready to be back in the office with everyone.  I have no desire to keep working from home.  I miss being around people and dressing up.  I do not buy into the thoughts some people share that our world will never be "normal" again and that all of the offices will decide to give up their leases and make everyone work from home.  That just won't happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

Oh, that is indeed a real thing.

Those that live one generation to the next on government programs know which states have the best benefits, what all the criteria are, and follow the benefits. 

Shoekitty said...oh give me break   .people that can not come up with first and last rent, let alone pay the rent, are traveling all over the country to get highest  free handouts.?  Baloney.