Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is still out of work and who returned?

Another college semester for us commences tomorrow. For me, that means remote; i.e., virtual.

My friend whom I went to college with who lives on the other side of the country lost his position entirely. He was also a church music director, and that position was lost, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife  You sound like a happy person - inner and outer contentment......, but then we know where that comes from. Woman Wink  This world is not our home......

Do you have family in Hawaii or are they all on the mainland?

Totally off topic:  I am enjoying my Paula's Choice - thanks!  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My goddaughter had a part time retail job she was working while attending college.  She has been furloughed since March and called back a couple of weeks ago.  While she is young and healthy her father has diabetes and copd and she is not comfortable being in a retail setting and then coming home and infecting her parents.  She made the decision not to return.  Since she has been offered hours and decided not to return she is no longer eligible for unemployment.  People talk about employees staying on unemployment because they make more money on unemployment but don't mention that once they are offered hours they are no longer eligible if they are able to work.  She could go back but the risks are high for her family situation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

My goddaughter had a part time retail job she was working while attending college.  She has been furloughed since March and called back a couple of weeks ago.  While she is young and healthy her father has diabetes and copd and she is not comfortable being in a retail setting and then coming home and infecting her parents.  She made the decision not to return.  Since she has been offered hours and decided not to return she is no longer eligible for unemployment.  People talk about employees staying on unemployment because they make more money on unemployment but don't mention that once they are offered hours they are no longer eligible if they are able to work.  She could go back but the risks are high for her family situation.

At first companies were allowing employees to delay coming back to work and remain on unemployment.  It was designed for circumstances just as you described.  Unfortunately there were so many that made these claims that it is no longer workable option.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My brother is a manager for a part distributor and his schedule was changed to one week on, one week off for months as New York was closed down in various places and his business is not essential at first and then was able to open.  I believe the business was able to get some SBA loans but they are not back to 100% and it's possible he may lose his job at some point.

My nieces are in college and work retail part time, so they have not gone back to work this summer (one is pregnant and one does not need to work).

My sister worked from home already, I had the flexibility to work from home whenever I wanted, no set schedule and now I am working from home for good.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I don't work anymore, but the hubs and DD went back in May after the stay at home was lifted, here is WA state. DD works in an orthodonics lab, hubs is in construction

Honored Contributor

I just don't know anyone that has lost their job. We are retired and now work full time with our 43 year online business. Our sales are up 75% from last year. Best year yet. Surely didn't expect that!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu wrote:

That is a situation with which many people in the Country have to grapple.   

On a personal level, two of my sons are essential workers in (NYC) in an industry directly impacting upon personal safety. One of my sons was quarentined for two weeks.  My husband has diabetes, I have an autoimmune disorder, and had (another) bout with cancer in 2019.  We did the best we could. 

Currently, I have been working in office only: but should I be required to commute into the City - which was part of my job pre-Covid, I am going to have to think about leaving. And no, I would not be entitied to any unemployment.  I insisted that my husband, who communted into NYC (also an essential worker) retire at the beginning of the year.  I don't regret it. Tragically, two of his co-workers in the building died.  Obviously, he did not qualify for unemployment.

To qualify for unemployment a requirement is that you are ready, willing and able to work. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I am so thankful that both DH and I are retired and do not have to deal with worrying about work.. income... etc.  We can stay home and safe as much as we can stay safe. I do appreciate those who are working to keep our stores and such up and running more than they know.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Yes, indeed we know where true soul happiness comes from.  Too bad we can't openly talk about it here.  Practically everything else can be discussed.

No, we do not have family here.  I accepted a job offer 11 years ago & we've been here since then.  I am truly blessed with a great job, great pay, benefits, retirement plan, etc., so you can bet I thank the One who provides it every day!

My family is in Houston & my husband's family is in SC.  SC is where would like to retire, unless God has other plans for us.  We always want to be coastal & most definitely in the south, but I don't really want to retire for another 11-15 years.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.