Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is still out of work and who returned?

I have been telecommuting since April. I run into the office once a week for a few hours, and then I come back home and jump right back on my laptop.

I work for a large County, and each department has different rules for their employees. Starting in September, my department will start having us rotate in and out of the office. They have us divided into two groups. Group one will work the first week in the office, while group two telecommutes, the following week group 2 will come into the office and group 1 will telecommute. We will do this rotation schedule until they tell us differently. 

If you go into the office, your temperature is taken before you even get into the building, we have Plexiglas everywhere, masks are required, signage is posted everywhere, plus hand sanitizer machines, etc..etc.. 

I am fortunate that I have my job, as well as family members and friends. Several friends are retired, so they do not have to worry about returning to a job.  I do not know anyone who has lost their job.  

It's the New normal. 

Honored Contributor

Own my own business and have for a good while.  Working virtually with clients is fine, but I miss the interaction with the students and the travel.  Have not flown since March.

Selling is always an option, and have a long standing offer, but I’d like to do a bit more, as my family and health allow.

Someday I will certainly resume traveling!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I am a therapist and own my own business so never stopped going to the office; I can sit 6 feet away from clients.  I have a family of lawyers so they still go to the office, too.  I don't know anyone personally who lost their job.

We did get a reprieve from the state regarding continuing education; it now goes until Dec. 31 instead of August 31, which is a huge relief to me.

Good luck to everyone out there!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife Puleeze--we call those government support systems.  That was a joke.

Seriously, sadly people are learning it is important where one lives.

@KarenQVC, Thankfully our society believes in a safety net. I've been so blessed, but I do try to put myself in the shoes of someone who needs such help.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me it is unreasonable to consider Public Health as anything but a Basic Necessity.

How it is Funded, and / or Accessed may be up for discussion for some.

Things like Rabies Control, Water Testing,  Sewage & Waste Removal, Restaurant Inspections, Sanitation, Emergency Services, you know, good ole’ Basic Public Health are pretty important.

I don’t consider doing without them pro active, strategic, or uplifting.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I have been furloughed for over four months from my community healthcare position. I’ve made the decision to go back on an as needed basis in an attempt to limit Covid risk and quite frankly the stress. I don’t know if I will get the work I’m hoping for, and will need to find my own health insurance soon but I feel it’s the right decision for myself and DH, who is at high risk.

Trusted Contributor

It's the economic season. Housing sales, car and RV sales, big box stores (incl.target Walmart Home Depot etc) are busier than ever. 
Restaraunts,  hotels, entertainment  (tourism) hit badly.  
Some jobs went virtual and company decided to keep them virtual after this  (my niece)

Hang in there, hopefully we're on the downside. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@SurferWife The pandemic will change where jobs are.  I can't even guess how, though.  It will also make people more aware which states have the best unemployment, public health, etc.

@KarenQVC 

I didn't think about it from that perspective.  I am of the mindset people may leave to go where the jobs are, not where the best government hand-outs are.

I agree, @SurferWife .  One can only hope that would be the mindset of most people........being happy to work for a living.  Sadly..........not always the case.

I am surprised to read that you aren't all that happy in Hawaii.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I am happy here, but my happiness doesn't depend upon my geographical location.  My job is secure (I work in the healthcare industry), but if I ever do lose it, I would rather move back to the mainland to look for a new job, than to continue living here.  We have no intention of retiring here anyway & IT jobs are plentiful (at least in my area of expertise).

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's rich that someone who never lost their job during a pandemic calls unemployment a "government handout". So hurtful and insulting to people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

Judge not lest you be judged is one of many principles that I live by.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"