Honored Contributor

Re: Who is obssessed with April the Giraffe?

Here's a picture that the park posted on their Facebook page today. 

IMG_6617.JPG

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Have you noticed how much April seems to like the young woman who comes in; also the young man, but not so much the other maybe older man? But it seems he doesn't give her as many treats or kisses! She does not seem to trust him as much. Very interesting watching the different ways they all interact with April.

And we will let each other know if we see those hooves right?!Woman HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Have you noticed how much April seems to like the young woman who comes in; also the young man, but not so much the other maybe older man? But it seems he doesn't give her as many treats or kisses! She does not seem to trust him as much. Very interesting watching the different ways they all interact with April.

And we will let each other know if we see those hooves right?!Woman HappyHeart

@on the bay- Alyssa is the female handler that gets along so well with April. I don't know the name of the young man. The "older guy" is the vet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh~

thank you- I didn't realize that. Maybe he doesn't have as nice a "bedside manner"Woman LOL or he is more all business and she knows it. I would love to give her a hug and kiss too. I really like watching them and how much April likes AlyssaSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

3/6 Evening Update

What A Day!

April continues to grow! Her mood continued to improve, however she was not impressed with our vets advances this afternoon. Our vet does a remarkable job - and he asks the hard questions of our animals - while we, the keepers, get to love on them and provide treats! The vet's visit this afternoon, was ended early by a toe tapping April, whose fancy footwork ended with a small front kick...but if you ask me - it looked like lazy jazz hands! April was simply "stating" she was done with her exam and reminding everyone this is her space. All are well; keepers, giraffes, and the vet!

Tomorrow will finally produce warm weather and a defrosted yard - and the giraffes will return outside. A few days inside is much better than a fatal slip and fall. The giraffes do not mind - as it warrants extra attention from keepers!

Our inbox was flooded today with concerns of April stealing Oliver's food (Hay). So many emails - that it has harmed the business - in the sense we cannot respond to emails due to capacity limits.

#1 the shared feeder is a shared feeder...it is neither of their main food source.
#2 The giraffes didn't arrive with the web cam - they've been here years prior - and no one has starved! Please have faith in our team! Many things happen and occur off camera; including feeding, watering, enrichment, etc.

Tomorrow morning - Approx 9 am - we are going to do another "weekly" FB live update but from another animals exhibit entirely! Many of you have asked about the other members of our family- tomorrow you will meet one of our favorites...he goes by the name of Nash!

Have a great evening - we will see you tomorrow!

For all things April, including the live feed:
www.ApriltheGiraffe.com

Image may contain: outdoor
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I have been watching. And learning! The caretakers talk to the camera's sometimes when they are working with Oliver and April.

They do not know when she is due. They do not know when she got pregnant, as Oliver is only 5 and a "frisky" boyfriend, so their guess is as good as ours.

Giraffes normally give birth at night in the dark and they labor silently, no noises to let them know. This because they are wild animals, and they do not make noise or much movement during birth for fear of other wild animals coming upon the birth and attacking the baby. Obviously, these giraffes are not in the wild, but the behavior is the same.

I love Oliver, there in the back cage. He can only come in to April's cage for 5 minutes or less because he wants se*, he doesn't care how she feels. Sometimes they are standing at the fencing just looking at each other. It is cute.

They only know the birth is active and impending when they see two little hooves poke out. From that point to the baby hitting the ground is usually less than 30 minutes. People get upset that the baby just falls 6 feet to the floor, but this is nature! Even if they padded an area, she would look to drop it on a solid surface.

So, no known due date, poor Oliver is s/x-frustrated LOL. Even though the baby is very active, the vet is looking for the first signs of feet poking through.

I have been fascinated by all I have learned. Who knew?

Last week when it was nice out in NY (60+), they did come and open the doors so they could go out. April was not interested. She didn't even bother. I don't remember if Oliver took a stroll out?

They are both receiving excellent care, even though PETA managed to report the feed to You Tube and had it taken down for a day or so. Reported it as "sxually explicit". Ridiculous.

Seems like it should be soon, even if they are just guessing. Her belly looks bigger and rounder than it has. Either the baby is growing fast at the end, or it is in position for birth makng April look more round.

Respected Contributor

@Marp  Thanks for posting the 3/6 evening update.  I am not on facebook, so I don't get this.  I also was curious about who the featured animal was at about 9 a.m. this morning.

I guess April is taking her sweet time delivering.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM, happy to help.  This morning's update is brief:

3/7. Morning Update

April had a very active night that did keep us glued to the cam screen! She settled in around 5:00 and got a few good naps in.
Not much else to report on physical or behavioral change.

We will go Live today on Facebook at 9 am with Nash - surprise animal guest - to talk updates and questions!

The surprise animal is a lynx.  The video is posted on FB but I can't link to it except through FB which would require signing in.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp   Thanks!  Perhaps I should sign up for facebook just for things like this.

Trusted Contributor

Is her time finally coming? She's been very agitated, banging her head and neck against the door and wall!