Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is obssessed with April the Giraffe?

Kindaglitzy wrote:
When is April due?

@Kindaglitzy.....It sounds like delivery was estimated to be about two weeks ago....I read that  they carry for 15 months, so I do hope that she has relief very soon!....I will send a notification to one of the posters who has been following her story and is much better informed than I.

Oh Yoo-Hoo @Marp...lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

LOL right back atcha @MyShadowLove Heart.  Birth was expected anytime from mid February.  I did read that one of her teats was shedding "wax" which is an indication that milk is starting to come in.  I did not see any further update on the second teat.  Also read that she is beginning to "pink up" in preparation for delivery--equivalent to dilating in a human.  She is not yet in active labor but that could start at any moment.  Calf has been very active and is obviously getting close to being in position for delivery.

I really expected her to deliver yesterday.  As they say, stay tuned (or risk missing the big event).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information. Started watching from time to time after I read about her here. Interesting!
Respected Contributor

I am so glad I saw this thread yesterday.  Have been watching from time to time.  Don't know if anyone knows if the poor thing has been standing on her feet all the time or if she has been sleeping on the floor.  I know giraffes give birth standing up so I was wondering about her being able to sleep on the floor in the days leading up to the delivery.

Thanks for posting about this. 

Honored Contributor

I saw a video today that has also gotten millions of views from a pregnant woman "re-inventing" April's pregnancy. Only those of us obseessed watchers will probably think it is funny (and I did!) you can just find it on youtube or just putting those words in the search bar.

And I have gotten to see April lie down-she looks very awkward but carefully lowers herself and her long legs and folds them under herself.

I too feel sorry for Oliver.At least April has something to concentrate on but it must get tiring and lonely for her too. His cage or enclosure looks especially small and he is pacing so much of the time. I don't know why they can't have nicer more creative enclosures. I picture them both happily roaming and running around with trees and hills and interesting things. I know other animals have nice environments that more closely resemble their natural environment. Maybe a warm enclosure even similar to what monkeys have in the zoo with all kinds of things to keep their interest. Why can't they have that I wonder? 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM, April has regularly been up and down.  She doesn't generally stay down very long though, clearly uncomfortable all tucked up and baby kicking and moving.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I did some reading. What I saw said that giraffes only sleep about 30 minutes a day total, usually 5 minutes or so at a time and it's common for them to sleep standing up. 

I also saw an interview with the head of the park I believe. He said that their quarters are actually pretty spacious, that they don't need more than that. It's climate controlled.  60-62 degrees I think. 

Temperature has been in the single digits there lately and there has been ice so they've stayed indoors though they mentioned that they might get to go out today and if not today, tomorrow. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a video yesterday of a giraffe giving birth in a zoo in Texas.  They had her in a very similar enclosure.  But the other giraffes were roaming around freely outdoors.

Once mother and baby are getting comfortable with each other they will let them out so the baby can get introduced and become accepted into the herd.  (I saw that part on animal planet a few years ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEIsWoTfm8

Honored Contributor

The vet came in to check on her at around 5:00 today. April was not happy that he was examining her and she kind of kicked him a few times. 

My favorite time is around 9:00 every night when the handler comes in to feed them and turn the lights out. Alyssa has a great relationship with April and I love watching her with April. 

A few minutes after that, they post an update on their Facebook page, letting everyone know how April is doing. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I've read before that the park employees say they don't "need" more space than that but it seems they might like it a whole lot better.

I think any animal or human that paces is trying to work off nervous energy,boredom etc. That can't be fun to have nothing to do and I don't buy the thing one trainer said that male giraffes are "only" interested in 3 things- fighting, eating and s...Not that I have much knowledge about giraffes and I would like to respect their knowledge but what about all the incredible pictures that have been taken of loving pictures of giraffe families entwining around each other and kissing each other?!

Sometimes I think humans think they are so smart (but arrogant) and think  animals are dumb and it strikes me as the other way around so many times!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"