Honored Contributor

Re: Who is obssessed with April the Giraffe?

[ Edited ]

@on the bay

My wife is hooked on watching April. She has the live feed on her tablet and I think she glances at it every waking hour of the day. Fact I said today to her "what if she has her offspring while you are sleeping"?  I answered for her saying "I am sure they will have the birth recorded".

For me personally, I find April to seem very loving to her care takers, and probably anxious to loss that 100+ pounds she has been carrying around. I'll pass on watching the birthing, just not my thing.

Hope all goes well April,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Lori Kaye ~ Each time I check in I think it's going to be soon : )

Frequent Contributor

I am! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Gif

I am and I have numerous pics... ! 

April is such a dear!IMG_7742.JPG

Here she is seen licking the ear of one of "her people!"

This little guy was born last Friday at the Denver zoo, and his people would like some thoughts for his well-being, too! (He is feeling neglected!) His name is Dobby and he is getting treatment to increase his immunity (infusions of giraffe serum)! Bless his little heart too!

DOBBY BELOW:

IMG_7792.JPG

Dobby getting an infusion below:

IMG_7791.JPG

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Oh Dobby is so sweet! 

I read about him and his mom Kipele who is 23! was on birth control so it was a surprise!

And she didn't allow an ultrasound and didn't want to be examined, and then she went into labor-way to go mom! Dobby wouldn't nurse in the beginning but now they say he is and is doing fine. They are very excited!

How cute is he?! Congratulations mom and dad!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@LTT1`

haha-what a great picture for this! I wonder if giraffes do like popcorn! Thank you for mentioning Dobby-I went to read about him. I always learn things here first!Woman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I've watching for 1 1/2 weeks since it was announced on the news that it was happening in the next day or do. Obviously it was not that far along. I saw a clip where the zookeeper never said it was happening now, the news wires did that on their own.

I check every morning at work - leaving it open in a corner on my screen and peek every so often. If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night for s BR break - I check again.

April is sure a beauty and I love seeing her eating treats out of the hand of her keeper.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay@Yahooey@reena22@Irish1210@hckynut

Yes, I have fallen in LOVE!

IMG_7805.JPGIMG_7806.PNGIMG_7812.JPG

Above: from video "April gives a kiss!"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

OH look at those eyelashes.... even Mally would approve... Woman LOL

Funny you should mentiion that.  Years ago I did a form of ceramics of a giraffe (One of my fav animals).  It was a sitting down pose (height about 4 or 5') and I put false eylases on it---it came out beautiful.

Unfortunaly in one of my moves it was dropped and not fixable.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

I was interested in April but feel sorry for her and her mate.  They're confined to that small indoor climate-controlled space all winter.  All they can do are pace and eat  Giraffes are not cold-weather animals and don't do well when the temperature is less than 50° F.  Animal Adventure Park is near Binghamton NY, which is definitely a cold weather area.