Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is in the Nor'easter snow storm?

@queendiva, what an dreadful experience!  Thatis a long time to be without power.  I’m glad at least your food was ok and that you had family and neighbors where you could take refuge.  Enough of winter already!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmomyour quilt is stunning!!!  Do you keep the quilts you make every year?  Donate? Sell? Gifts?  

@queendiva  what a nightmare you've been through.  There are still some in my county without power since Friday's storm which dumped 8 inches of snow.   We got 2 feet on Wednesday, as well. I'm glad you didn't lose anything in your fridge/freezer.   When the freak Halloween snow storm came through Jersey a few years ago, my house got that cold too. There is no way to warm up.  I'm glad you had warm, welcoming homes to go to until power was restored. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom, your quilt is beautiful!  Wedding ring quilts are my absolute favorite pattern.   

As for weather, southern WV is sunny and cold, but no snow on the ground right now.   We had snow squalls off and on all day yesterday, but never more than a light ground cover as far as accumulation.   Whiteout conditions caused 2 pileups in the same spot on I-77 North yesterday, near Tamarack; the last one involved 17 vehicles and shut down traffic flow for about 5 hours.   

Depending on what station you listen to, we may get nothing out of the system moving in Sunday, or we may see 6+ inches.   I’m ready for whatever.    

Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj, I keep some and gift some.  I never sell them.  It is my winter hobby and I do enjoy it.  The weddings rings pattern is nice to quilt.  I am at the outer edges of this one now so I am almost done.  I have to do the binding and that will be it for this year.

On a storm note, we had another blast of winter last night.  We got much more than they predicted.  I had dinner in the city with a friend and the drive home was tricky.  Cars off the road.  I have a good vehicle with winter tires and I am used to driving in the snow.  Not nice to see vehicles in the ditch though.  Calm and beautiful this morning.

The ice is gone from the lake.  A sure sign that Spring is here.  LM

Honored Contributor

We had about 16” with a whole lot of drifting, in our northern NJ community, but the weirdest thing about this storm is how oddly variable the damage was from several nearby areas. 

At one point or another, everyone in my family was without power, and I had a frail 90 year old houseguest for most of 6 day’s, which was not fun for either of us but we did have a few good laughs.

Our 16” new supply of snow came on top of the 4” of old snow. If I never saw another flake of snow except on a Christmas card, I would not utter one word of complaint.

So far I haven’t made it to one single rehearsal for Easter Music, but the hopes of the Easter celebrations have buoyed my spirits enough so that even if it snows THEN, I’ll still feel the same joy that I do every year.

SPRING IS COMING (just have to keep telling myself).

Esteemed Contributor

@violann, a sense a humour helps doesn’t it?  Hoping the 20” melts fast for you!  Lm

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmomwrote:

@dmod nj, I keep some and gift some.  I never sell them.  It is my winter hobby and I do enjoy it.  The weddings rings pattern is nice to quilt.  I am at the outer edges of this one now so I am almost done.  I have to do the binding and that will be it for this year.

On a storm note, we had another blast of winter last night.  We got much more than they predicted.  I had dinner in the city with a friend and the drive home was tricky.  Cars off the road.  I have a good vehicle with winter tires and I am used to driving in the snow.  Not nice to see vehicles in the ditch though.  Calm and beautiful this morning.

The ice is gone from the lake.  A sure sign that Spring is here.  LM

@Lilysmomwhomever receives one of your quilts is a very lucky recipient.  They are beautiful! 

From your lips to God's ears..............hurry up spring!!  I don't mind the winter at all, but all this snow at once is enough! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

Here in Central MA got 18.2 last week.  Very heavy snow and intense winds.  I had my trees trimmed too, but some very large branches (don't know if I can lift them) came down. Some people are still without power - I feel so bad for them - but all should be restored by midnite. My power was out for 19.5hrs.  Food should be good up to 24hrs., but gonna toss mine except for veggies.

Our third Northeaster should come tomorrow nite, again with heavy winds. Forecasters still don't know just said could be 2.2" to 14.2" so they're going with 8-12 (which is what they forecasted for the previous storm; and worst case scenario will be a blizzard.  We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Is everyone getting tired of Winter yet!?!!Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme, my phone is lighting up with warnings again.  They aren’t forecasting amounts yet.  Sounds like a bad one.  I was worried March was going to be like this as we had such a great winter.  Three storms in a week...enough already!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom

Last nite I watched the Fox25 news - they're often the best for the Worcester area.  They forecasted it was gonna be another blizzard with over 14" here but tides will be lower and it will be colder than last week's storm so snow shouldn't be as heavy, but, trees have been weakened after last week.  Looks dismal.

Hope everybody got their power back now.  Feel so bad for them.  At least the utilities have the outside crews in now!  Take care - all we can do is hope for the best!  Gotta go buy water today.  Have a well so when no power, no water - yuck!

Begone Winter - and Winter Storms!Woman Sad