Honored Contributor

Who is giving their kids/grandkids a less technological Christmas?

My son is 18 this year. It doesn't seem all that long ago he was little. Most of his young life, his Christmases were full of puzzles, coloring books, reading books, cars and trucks (the old fashioned kind, no batteries), stuffed animals, and loads of building block type sets.

Not that he never got anything electronic, but it was the rare gift. And it wasn't because some earlier form of it didn't exist, we just chose not to let him have all the gadgets and gizmos that every kid had to have. I feel that because of it, he is a much more well rounded young man. He does well academically and socially partly because he had to use his imagination, and had to interact with people not things.

So who out there has similar views or plans for their kiddos this holiday season?

Honored Contributor

Re: Who is giving their kids/grandkids a less technological Christmas?

I feel the same (exactly) as you.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We have never purchased our grand kids 'electronic' items, and we rarely buy toys, they have way to many. We have purchased craft type items. For the granddaughter that lives across the country we purchase a small item and the rest is money, her parents and other grandmother spend an excessive amount of money (in our opinion) on Christmas, we don't want to add to the pile of stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my GD Uggs at Nordstrom & a fashion necklace at a boutique. My grandson's are getting Kindle Fires.

Super Contributor

GS is totally updated electronically by his parents. I, on the other hand, just ordered those goofy huge bouncy around balls that were on yesterday. electronic, yes, they need 4 D batteries!!! Also got him one of those old fashioned fur ear/hooded type hats from the Q. I'll probably be a bit scoffed at, but that's just me.

Super Contributor

Same here mominohio. We limited electronics. While they weren't banned, they certainly had their place in the grand scheme of things. Educational toys, computer games/programs and books were always included. Ours are 17 & 20 so it is getting harder . . . a little pickier on clothing but we still manage to spend plenty. And now the electronics they do get, carry a much higher price tag. That ole saying the difference between men & boys are the price of their toys . . . well I guess my little boy isn't so little anymore. Ditto on girls and their toys too. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't have kids, but if I did, I like your approach. Of course, I think there's a middle ground, but I'd so hope not to foster another cell phone/techno zombie who can't be more than a foot away from a phone or pad. I'd like to think I'd help kids to learn to connect to the real world and real people in real life and in real ways... in addition to being comfortable using technology.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...