Honored Contributor

Re: Who (in general) do you think handles money better men or women?

[ Edited ]

I'm a spender and he's a miser.  So I would have to say my husband.  With me there wouldn't be any money left to spend to begin with.  It's near impossible to get any money out of my husband.  They could have him on a hoarder TV and it would be money that was being hoarded.  So we never go anywhere.  Never take any trips.  Every penny he makes goes in to savings, CD's, stock, bonds, money market. God forbid he would actually spend any of it even for necessities. Our child's college fund (including excess to compensate for inflation)  was completed by the time our child was 4.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's a gender thing. It could be one or the other, both of them, or neither of them.

Honored Contributor

I spend more but he does the book work to keep our budget on track.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think in general it is a gender based quality but in my family it definitely is. My father never deprived himself of anything, loved his toys and told my mother that if she couldn't make in on what he gave her that was her problem. She worked outside the home long before most women did because she had to. Up until the time he went into a care facility a few years  ago he had the same attitude, honestly it was financial abuse for their entire marriage. Fears about money and trying to make it on her own kept her in a miserable marriage. He blew lots of money and never cared or worried at all about the future. He never looked at bills or paid them.

And both my brothers are the same way, love to buy themselves toys and are financially irresponsible. I live for bargains and always worry about the bills and the future.

I think it's often a pattern ingrained in families that continues unless and until people break it out of choice or necessity.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I always managed the money in our 42 year marriage. My DH was all wrapped up in his very detailed work, and he had no interest in doing it. I didn't mind, and found I was pretty good at it.  We both came from depression era parents, and we grew up learning to be very careful about spending.  At first, when we were in school, we had little to spare, but as we got older, we had a comfortable living. We didn't deprive ourselves, but we always put money in savings and tithed our 10%.  I am so thankful we did put money in savings.  My DH suffered with Alzheimers in his early 60s and had to be put into memory care. That care took almost everything we'd saved. I hate to think what would have happened if we had not had that savings.  You just never know what the future will bring..   

I watch Youtube sometimes for makeup and hair ideas, and there are several gals that spend, spend, spend and I don't mean small spending.  $300 jeans, go get a shot of Botox for $300 (maintenance), shoes for $500 and that is in one week.  I think, you'd better be putting some of that in savings for the future. But that is just me.  Everyone has the right to do what they want with their money.  I just won't ever understand it. Maybe I am just cheapSmiley LOL

Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with one's gender. It has to do with the person. Sorry to see that kind of judgement is still being made.