Honored Contributor

Re: Who here has NOT “stocked up”

I'm living in a short term rental and can't store much here.  

I also don't want to have too much to move from here, come May, if I do get to move when planned 

Honored Contributor

Yes, stocked up on pie from a pie place in another city.  Jams and cinnamon bread they make.  It was delivered today. I wanted to make sure my pie source was not stopped. Omg thy make the best Strawberry- Rhubarb pie from their orchard and garden.  

stocked up on salad, chips too. I do have a head of cauliflower and broccoli in there too. My older granddaughter shopped for me.  She looked like Minnie Mouse going off with her white gloves. And a black mask.  

I have 10 large rolls toilet paper left, and Clorox, and isopropyl alcohol.  No wipes, but haven't gone out in 2 weeks except around the block.  I spray alcohol on most food item packaging and wash rest like fruit and veggies.  I toss bags.  I empty bags on porch. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don't stock up like some do with 5 packages of toilet paper, etc.

However, I've always had several of everything.

I live alone in a large house.  I'm 73 years old with bad back problems and 2 fake knees.

If I can't get out for some reason (and because I'm independent) I want to know I have whatever "it" is available for me.

This hoarding of toilet paper just amazes me.  

Is it just the US that hoards toilet paper?  Is it other countries also?

@Annabellethecat66 

I heard recently (I think it was a youtube video) that most of the world thinks we are crude and backward with out habit of using toilet paper. Most of the world doesn’t use it at all. They use different methods of cleansing after using the bathroom. That really makes a lot more sense than what we do. 

Valued Contributor

i did not have to stock up for this virus because i keep at least two of everything, non perishable, on hand, on a normal basis. why? because i absolutely, positively, do not like to grocery shop. i figured, that since i have to go once and be miserable, i may as well make it count and just buy 2 of everything at the same time. to me, it's a waste of my time to only buy enough for a month, when i know next month is coming.

and then there's that 'thing' of having to control a shopping cart on a snow or ice filled parking lot. no thank you! i've seen way too many people fall doing that and worse, having their cart roll away, then they fall, running on ice trying to get their cart.

i have a second freezer that once it get's half empty, i restock it. some meat i have delivered and other i stock up on when i have to buy non perishables.

i do 2 big buys a year and at most, 3 smaller buys throughout the rest of the year.

Honored Contributor

No in fact today I took inventory in my freezer as I refuse to do take out right now even from my fav places.

Oh boy I knew my pantries were stocked but after going thru my freezer we can eat for quite awhile.

The only things we will need are the basics: milk, bread and possibly some lunch meat for spouse lunches.

I went to the food store today the shelves in certain aisles were bare but I was able to  get the essentials.

Respected Contributor

About 4 days ago, there was a clerk stationed at the TP aisle, and she was like the proverbial "night nurse" (or Seinfeld's Soup Nazi): ONE SHOPPER IN THE AISLE AT A TIME. LEAVE YOUR SHOPPING CART HERE, AND ENTER THE AISLE. TAKE ONLY ONE PACKAGE [of TP]!

That would've been a trip lol, but we didn't need any TP at the time. Spoke with my SIL today and she said the paper goods are returning to the shelves. Rather, I think they're simply STAYING on the shelves longer, as the panicked buying has subsided.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I grew up near Lake Erie and have had my fair share of preparing to hunker down during blizzards and heavy snowfalls.    I always have a little extra on hand.    

Mask
Honored Contributor

We always have meat in the freezer and plenty of canned goods that would last us for months so we really only need a very few items each week.  I did have DH buy more Tylenol. We were only able to get a small bottle.  It wasn't the gel caps I take but any was better than none.  Our Walgreens and grocery were both sold out of it.

Super Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@JumpTheRope 

I have not stocked up on anything (not a single roll of toilet paper, no special cleansers, etc) but I have not continued to shop as usual. It has been almost two weeks since I was in a store. I’m usually at the grocery store 3 times a week. I’m using what I have. I hope I can get what I need when I run out.

“shopping as usual”, for me, means RARELY.

As a single senior, my needs are few, although my “wants” are many.

I live in a small- sized city of approximately 200,000, with grocery stores, drug-stores, etc. all nearby.

Even 24-hr. gas/convenience stores and  a CVS.

We seem like minded in our approach!

Super Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Hello, ula,  I get busy at work and my part of FL does have hurricanes, so I do have a good pantry selection and keep a stock of  frozen foods (which I don't really like) on hand.

Since I prefer fresh I am still shopping for produce and fruit on a regular basis.  They don't keep that well.

Hello, you Floridians have *got it down*!

I probably gave the impression (not meaning to) that my pantry and freezer are bare and I “go shopping” daily, or whatever.

I DO have canned goods, frozen goods, etc., but I haven’t “over-stocked”

in response to this event.

My Governor has repeatedly said there is plenty of groceries continuously being delivered and buying more than needed for a week or two is unnecessary.

As an aside, I saw on the news where a church had a roadside grocery 

giveaway for seniors and those in need.

A reporter asked one lady what she thought of the event.....and she replied, 

“I already have supplies but I thought I’d pick up some extra to have on hand...”

And she said this with a straight face! With no recognition of what she just revealed about herself.

I was peeved.