Honored Contributor

Re: Who here has NOT “stocked up”

Me---I am doing my normal shopping but am getting a few extra cans of stuff for the pantry and also think I will make some soups for the freezer too. I already had the wipes and bleach products as normal. hopefully people will just ease up and not freak out about this food business-----

Honored Contributor

I think we have a total of 6 toilet paper rolls left.  No hand sanitizers at all.  About 6 foaming liquid soap.  Enough food for one week.  1 loaf of bread.  We hoarded nothing. 1 toothpaste.

There isn't any toilet paper to buy, so we witll have wash out selves if we run out of toilet paper.   That's it.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Without knowing what was coming, in January I stocked up on everything in high demand now on one of my trips to Costco. So I'm all set for quite a while. 

@ID2 I did exactly the same thing.  As soon as I heard people were dying by the hundreds in China from a virus, well, you KNEW it would come here.  

I can't imagine anyone not taking this seriously.

Honored Contributor

It's just me and DH.....I did not and have never stocked up....the only double item I have purchased recently was coffee and ice cream...

For me it's nothing to do with denial, it's how I have always shopped.  If I had kids in the house maybe that would have been different.

Respected Contributor

Every time a person enters a store, they are possibly exposing themselves to the virus.  Unless a person has storage or financial concerns, why would someone not buy at least 2 weeks worth of groceries/sundries to cut their exposure by half if a person normally goes once a week? What part of "Stay home" is not being understood? SMH

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@CalminHeart   I saw on Facebook where someone had taken a roll of paper towels and cut it in half, through the middle and it appeared to look like 2 rolls of toliet paper...That might work in a pinch, as long as it was flimsy paper towels and wouldn't clog up the toliet.

Might not clog up the toilet, but could clog up the line further down--a much more expensive repair--and won't break down in the sewage treatment plant. So it's a bad idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@JumpTheRope wrote:

but has continued shopping as they ordinarily do?

I have not bought one extra item....not sanitizer, TP, etc.

I have 1 tiny travel size of hand sanitizer,  1bleach, 1 cleaning vinegar, 

microfiber cloths, 1  Dawn and 2 containers hand soap.

I happen to have some of those thin blue disposable hospital gloves,

which were left over from a prior caretaking issue.

But I have not stocked up on anything.

Is it denial?

Or my lack of space and avoidance of collecting any more STUFF!? lol

There has to be others out there, perhaps living alone, who haven’t 

bothered “prepping”.......

@JumpTheRope  Being that I can't foretell the future, yes, I have enough supplies and food on hand, including our pets' food and even cat litter. But, I always have a healthy supply of those items in existence, now more than ever. 

Question: What does Not having a supply of essential items on hand do for you, mentally and physically, during a pandemic, as you said you have not stocked up on Anything?

And, you say "shopping as we normally do". There is no "normal" shopping anymore, anywhere. Certain areas are on lockdown - No traveling and No shopping. Then, what will you do? I've read numerous horror stories of people not being able to find diapers, formula and the like for their children. Yes, they can, hopefully, find and use cloth diapers, but formula and baby food is a must. 

You may think it's funny, as you "lol'd", but this is serious. No one has a clue as to how much more devastating this could get. Yesterday, my husband stopped at Costco (for a Rx) and there were No essentials, e.g., TP, Kleenex, paper towels, Lysol, etc., etc.

If it gets to the point where you can't leave your house, you will wish you had purchased the "stuff" you're avoiding as "collecting" as you called it.

There is a big difference between hoarding and being prepared.

@Mimi 1883 

Just to reassure you, there are no areas in the US that prohibit leaving your house to shop for groceries and other necessities.  Now whether the grocery actually has what you need is another matter.  But no one in the US is locked in their houses unable to leave for any reason.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

I have not stocked up on anything (not a single roll of toilet paper, no special cleansers, etc) but I have not continued to shop as usual. It has been almost two weeks since I was in a store. I’m usually at the grocery store 3 times a week. I’m using what I have. I hope I can get what I need when I run out.

Honored Contributor

We always stock up. My motto is,"if 1 is a good buy,6 are a better buy".

Honored Contributor

The only thing I purchased in bulk is Kleenex so I could receive free shpg.  I ordered 12 boxes total.  There are certain items that none of the stores will ship (paper towel, toilet tissue, soda).  Yet, they will ship sparkling water.  Go figure.  I do think it is best to not over buy.  I go through Kleenex like water since I have COPD and use inhalers.

kindness is strength