Honored Contributor

Re: Who here has NOT “stocked up”

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

Every time a person enters a store, they are possibly exposing themselves to the virus.  Unless a person has storage or financial concerns, why would someone not buy at least 2 weeks worth of groceries/sundries to cut their exposure by half if a person normally goes once a week? What part of "Stay home" is not being understood? SMH

My usual grocery store is Amazon Fresh.  They are closed.  My only trip (since the virus) was last week.  Everything including bread was stripped from the shelves.  A woman in front of me took the last loaf of bread.  I don't have anything to hoard.  I ended up digging and scanning shelves for anything left.  I have no eggs, only loaf of bread.  I have one 1/2 lb of ground beef & one box of spaghetti.  I plan for this to last the week for dinner. If I stay home this week, I'll starve.  Hard to believe I'm living in a first world country.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought anything extra except one hand sanitizer.  I keep homemade soup in the freezer  and I have some frozen fish and meatloaf.  I haven't been to the store lately.  I ordered tp from Costco.com and they delivered it to my front door.  I ordered a grocery delivery from Instacart for tomorrow.  I don't expect to get all that I ordered but I will work with it.  

Valued Contributor

IN NEWYORK no tiolet paper tissues or paper towels.

no fozen itiems cream cheese and butter forget about it....

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Every time a person enters a store, they are possibly exposing themselves to the virus.  Unless a person has storage or financial concerns, why would someone not buy at least 2 weeks worth of groceries/sundries to cut their exposure by half if a person normally goes once a week? What part of "Stay home" is not being understood? SMH

My usual grocery store is Amazon Fresh.  They are closed.  My only trip (since the virus) was last week.  Everything including bread was stripped from the shelves.  A woman in front of me took the last loaf of bread.  I don't have anything to hoard.  I ended up digging and scanning shelves for anything left.  I have no eggs, only loaf of bread.  I have one 1/2 lb of ground beef & one box of spaghetti.  I plan for this to last the week for dinner. If I stay home this week, I'll starve.  Hard to believe I'm living in a first world country.

Obviously, you need to go to the store, and I hope you find what you need.  I'm sure you'll buy more than a week's worth of groceries or at least I hope so.  Based on my area, I would suggest you be there as soon as the store opens.

Respected Contributor

I've always had plenty of paper towels, garbage bags, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, dish liquid, detergent, & soap on hand. So their is no need for my to buy and take away from others. The only thing I go out for is fresh fruits & vegetables. 

Honored Contributor

We have been getting our paper towels and tp at Costco for years. Since it is just the two of us now one large pkg lasts for months. I like the convenience of only having to restock two or three times a year. I stocked up on a few other things like Clorox wipes right before all of this happened so am in good shape with most things. I never use hand sanitizer so haven’t even tried to find any.
Respected Contributor

Well, one thing I HAVE stocked up on is cat food. I know I can get people food one way or another. I'm not so sure about the cat food.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Just DH and me.  Shopping as usual.  We have 5 rolls of tp which should last us several weeks so no concern here.  Have had no problem getting our usual stuff.

I wish five rolls would last us that long. Depending on the brand and model of TP we can sometimes use a roll a day. 

Trusted Contributor

Someone PLEASE have me understand this TP hoarding and fear of not having any on hand.  Hearing this over and over is just fascinating to me.  Those of you do realize that you are asked to be home and therefore DO have alternatives.  

The obsurdity of this boggles the mind - are there that many for lack of a better word, uneducated? 

I just don't get it.  They walk among us...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@JumpTheRope wrote:

but has continued shopping as they ordinarily do?

I have not bought one extra item....not sanitizer, TP, etc.

I have 1 tiny travel size of hand sanitizer,  1bleach, 1 cleaning vinegar, 

microfiber cloths, 1  Dawn and 2 containers hand soap.

I happen to have some of those thin blue disposable hospital gloves,

which were left over from a prior caretaking issue.

But I have not stocked up on anything.

Is it denial?

Or my lack of space and avoidance of collecting any more STUFF!? lol

There has to be others out there, perhaps living alone, who haven’t 

bothered “prepping”.......

@JumpTheRope  Being that I can't foretell the future, yes, I have enough supplies and food on hand, including our pets' food and even cat litter. But, I always have a healthy supply of those items in existence, now more than ever. 

Question: What does Not having a supply of essential items on hand do for you, mentally and physically, during a pandemic, as you said you have not stocked up on Anything?

And, you say "shopping as we normally do". There is no "normal" shopping anymore, anywhere. Certain areas are on lockdown - No traveling and No shopping. Then, what will you do? I've read numerous horror stories of people not being able to find diapers, formula and the like for their children. Yes, they can, hopefully, find and use cloth diapers, but formula and baby food is a must. 

You may think it's funny, as you "lol'd", but this is serious. No one has a clue as to how much more devastating this could get. Yesterday, my husband stopped at Costco (for a Rx) and there were No essentials, e.g., TP, Kleenex, paper towels, Lysol, etc., etc.

If it gets to the point where you can't leave your house, you will wish you had purchased the "stuff" you're avoiding as "collecting" as you called it.

There is a big difference between hoarding and being prepared.

@Mimi 1883 

When I hear the words "stocked up"....I think of hoarding....there's being prudent and having essentials on hand and buying things out so there is nothing left for the rest of us....  Our Mayor had a TV conference and there was also a message from the Grocery Store Managers that urged us to do our "normal" grocery and there would be plenty for everyone...stocking up" and hoarding accomplishes NOTHING--you are tying up your money you might need for other things....like a doctor visit, prescriptions, or other bills that need to be paid...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”