Honored Contributor

Re: Who here has NOT “stocked up”

i am always prepared and "stocked up" and still doing regular grocery shopping.

the only thing i dont have at this time are clorox wipes, alcohol, and hand sanitizer because i cannot find those items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Can't say we stocked up on anything. We are members of Sam's Club and Costco. So just regular shopping at those stores can give you quite an inventory.

We also have 3 large grocery stores withing a mile of our house. Two grocery stores have opened in the past year. All 3 have been well stocked. I must admit I have not looked for toilet paper in any of the stores because I don't need it. But have been able to buy whatever we wanted.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't stocked up because we already have enough of the essentials on hand.

We have TP, and don't need packages on packages. I got into the habit of using Wet Ones foil-wrapped hand sanitizers during the days of food courts. Every few trips to Walmart, I'd pick up a box, so I have those. And since we haven't been out to eat since everything is closed, there's no need for them now, anyway. I found out long ago that straight 70% wintergreen-scented rubbing alcohol (with glycerin, NOT salicylic acid), in an empty Method spray bottle (they're the BEST) makes a great sanitizer (except anywhere near the stove 😳), so I still have extra, unopened bottles of that. I can also pour some into those little fingertip spray bottles, if necessary.

We've always used Scott auto shop towels for cleaning when we open our summer cottage, so I'd already picked up those--which are now wiped out of stores by maniacs, probably to be used for kitchen toweling, or TP, then flushed down the toilet.

I have Handi Wipes, reusable and simple to disinfect in a bleach solution. And speaking of bleach, I guess people don't know how little you need in water to make an effective solution.

Oh, and we have indoor plumbing 😏--and already had plenty of bar soap, which so many pooh-poohed until they rediscovered it to empty store shelves. We keep our hands away from our faces, and wash them when we get home. Come to think of it, 🤔I haven't seen ONE person whip out the Purell to perform public ablutions.

So, no, we haven't been ransacking stores during this emergency.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I haven't stocked up on anything.  I do my weekly grocery shopping.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883  We live in downtown Chicago.  Both Jewel and Trader Joe's have "senior" hours.  While some of the shelves are empty, most of the items we get are there.  There was tp at Jewel as well as paper towels.  Although they are limiting some items to one, e.g. cereal there are no shortages where I am.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Mimi 1883  We live in downtown Chicago.  Both Jewel and Trader Joe's have "senior" hours.  While some of the shelves are empty, most of the items we get are there.  There was tp at Jewel as well as paper towels.  Although they are limiting some items to one, e.g. cereal there are no shortages where I am.

@kaydee50  No shortages. Amazing! Hope it lasts.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

Well.......its hard to stock up. There is no toilet paper (or paper products of any type) here in our area of CT. Meat is hard to find and the store shelves are almost bare. We have an ample supply but we did not go nuts stocking up. 

Respected Contributor

I already had all that stuff. I buy extra when it's on sale throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

I live in the Northeast so in the winter I always stock up a little in case of really bad weather. Luckily, this year the weather was  reasonable so I had a few extras.  The week before everything went crazy I stocked up on chicken, Hamburg , soup and pasta. The only thing I couldn't get at all was frozen veg.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

It is usual for us to pick up a package of TP when at Costco each trip. It has been the way I work since we have had the membership--over 20 ys.

We have a container or two of the disinfecting wipes and kleenex and then we pick up paper towels often. We have soap as well. 

What I want and have just found and hopefully they will come are the probe covers of the thermometers and then some Tylenol. I usually do not like it but I kept reading that ibuprofen shouldn't be used at this time. I have ibuprofen that has helped me. I know how Tylenol doesn't work for me because when I was on blood thinners for three years it was the only thing I could take for pain and well for me it didn't work. Now I am not saying that it was that way for others. I picked some up yesterday at CVS as I picked up my asthma inhaler. I wanted a back up.

When it comes to food. I think that my husband and I have enough as it is just us. I call my mother and brother to see how they are doing as my mom is in her late 80's and has heart health issues. They live across the street from a grocery store and my brother has enough of things.