Esteemed Contributor

Who has seen the production 'Book of Mormon'?

Some friends and I attended the traveling production on Monday evening. The cast members and the music were fabulous. It's very, very funny! In spite of being advertised as "adult humor" we went with caution. Instead we laughed and laughed throughout the entire musical. It's a well done, delightful comedy and the entire audience found it completely enjoyable.

Had friends see it in New York a couple of years and return to Lincoln with rave reviews. Of course, I've been anxious for it to arrive in Nebraska. It played in Omaha long before Lincoln, but the prices were far too expensive. We decided to wait. It was worth the wait. My only regret is that I didn't buy tickets for my son and DIL. (We bought our tickets with our Season Tickets. By the time we saw the musical, all tickets were long gone. It may have been an immediate sell-out. IDK.)  

If you have seen 'Book of Mormon' what was your experience and the audience you saw it with? I would imagine if the audience was in laughter throughout the entire evening, you would also be in hysterics. This was one of those nights where the entire venue was like little kids who cannot stop laughing. The belly-laughter was contageous. Haven't had so much fun in a very long time. It was good for the soul, the body and the heart!

Hope you have a chance to see 'Book of Mormon' and buy your tickets early. They sell fast. It's a fun evening of great music and fun lyrics with an amazing cast which will keep you laughing throughout the program. Remember, it IS "adult humor" and children should not be included.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Who has seen the production 'Book of Mormon'?

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady

I had a chance to see this with Dad and DH about a year ago.

We are fortunate to live where we can see wonderful productions like this as well as concerts.

The cast was excellent, and the audience was very appreciative. Yes, we were like a bunch of kids.  Having lived lived for a while in Utah made it  particularly relative to DH and me.

*** edited for typo

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

It’s very good 

Trusted Contributor

I saw it on Broadway about 2 years ago.  One of our local towns' rec department has trips to see Broadway shows a few times a year.  Dinner before and then show.  

I don't mean to sound negative, but I was underwhelmed.  I think the problem is that I expected so much because of the ads, that I just sat there.Woman Sad  I thought the guy behind me was going to need mouth to mouth, he could not catch his breath from laughing so hard.

At one point I said to my sister "what's wrong with me??  Are they speaking a different language??"  Everyone who has seen it, loved it.  Me - nothing.  But again, I think I went in with such high expectations.

But I'm glad you had fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005  We've all gone someplace with those "high expectations" and wondered what was the big deal? Sounds like you figured out why you didn't "get it" during the program! I'm so sorry. Perhaps if it's ever televised, you'll find humor in it several years later. IDK. Thanks for your kind response. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

One of my favorites!

Honored Contributor

i have a chance to see it as an optional purchase in baltimore as part of the traveling broadway shows. i have not opted to purchase them yet......wasnt sure i wanted to see the production.

so far this year though i have loved fiddler on the roof and anastasia. up next month is willie wonka and the chocolate factory.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45, we saw Willie Wonka in Chicago.

It was very good.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@roeroe1005   I agree.   My husband and I are huge Broadway fans.  I  have always lived in the NY area and have seen well over 100 shows on Broadway.  The Book of Mormon was one of my least favorites.  More than a few people walked out at intermission when we saw it.  We have friends who loved it and friends who felt as I did.

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean about having high expectations and then being "underwhelmed."  I won lottery tickets for a performance here in Chicago of Hamilton.  It was OK--basically a "rap opera."  Not my cup of tea but for $10 it was worth it.  Cannot imagine paying the prices regular tickets go for.