Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who eats pork and kraut today?

On 1/1/2015 nunya said:

yes, pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, every New Year.

I've never had it with apples or applesauce.

I never had it with apples or applesauce either but all this apple talk made me get an apple pie for dessert!!!

Respected Contributor

mr henny is from PA and he loves his pork and kraut for New Years. I am cooking a tenderloin and serving it with mashed potatoes.

Respected Contributor

No one likes pork here.

Honestly never heard of this tradition.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds yummy.

In my home growing up, we always had herring on New Year's Eve, to ring in the New year. It was usually herring in some kind of cream sauce. Either that, or my Dad would eat sardines on crackers. Most of the time though, we had herring.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again for the replies.

As far as preparation I guess it depends on the family recipes?

About burning that candle all night, I don't do it but my Nana used to do that. (She would put it in the empty sink in a candle dish holder to burn while she went to bed).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Not me, but I went to a potluck last night & pork & kraut was there. Didn't know why.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother was from Germany as most of my relatives were and it was tradition to have herring on New Years Eve, along with other things as well.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

We did- my WDIL cooked and served. PERFECT!!!
Trusted Contributor

On 1/1/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 1/1/2015 GoodStuff said:
On 1/1/2015 sunshine45 said:
On 1/1/2015 Shorty2U said:

Interesting, thanks for the comments. I never did it like Cater but I do know of people who put apple with it. And I like kielbasa but haven't had it for ages.

my grandmother never served pork without apple or applesauce somewhere in the recipe..........don't know why..........even pork chops were served with applesauce.............................raven

we never serve it with apples or applesauce. is your grandmother german BBR? maybe its the germans that DONT put apples in them.....never had it with apples before.

yep she was German............her parents were from Rankin, Germany....she was first generation American, although some of her siblings were not..........she was one of 13...........but..............I always noticed some elements of Pennsylvania Dutch in her cooking.......my gawd that woman could cook.........her pies crusts, which were to die for BTW, they were totally Penn Dutch................................................raven

My heritage is mostly German, and I love pork or smoked sausage and sauerkraut, cooked with chopped onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, and a liberal sprinkle of caraway or celery seed.

For New Year's Day, though, this Southern girl will eat the traditional Southern pork, collards, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I'll serve sliced fresh tomatoes, sweet onions, and pickled peppers alongside. My collards are simmering in the slow cooker right this minute! YUM!

hey................you KNOW there has to be some vinegar in there somewhere.....a good German always throws some vinegar in there somewhere LOL................................raven

Southerners usually splash their greens with the vinegar/brine from hot pickled peppers and often eat pickled peppers or chow-chow along with them. Yep, pickled peppers and the spicey vinegar are a part of the meal!

Respected Contributor

I'm from SW Pennsylvania. We have always had a pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on New Years. Some people would eat it at midnight, or just sauerkraut and hotdogs at midnight for good luck. My Dad was Pennsylvania Dutch/German heritage. It may be a regional or ethnic thing and as people moved across the country they take their traditions with them. Pork always goes on sale here right before New Years.