Respected Contributor

Re: Who eats pork and kraut today?

On 1/1/2015 sunshine45 said:
On 1/1/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 1/1/2015 Shorty2U said:

Interesting, thanks for the comments. I never did it like Cater but I do know of people who put apple with it. And I like kielbasa but haven't had it for ages.

my grandmother never served pork without apple or applesauce somewhere in the recipe..........don't know why..........even pork chops were served with applesauce.............................raven

we never serve it with apples or applesauce. is your grandmother german BBR? maybe its the germans that DONT put apples in them.....never had it with apples before.

yep she was German............her parents were from Rankin, Germany....she was first generation American, although some of her siblings were not..........she was one of 13...........but..............I always noticed some elements of Pennsylvania Dutch in her cooking.......my gawd that woman could cook.........her pies crusts, which were to die for BTW, they were totally Penn Dutch................................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

Interesting, thanks for the comments. I never did it like Cater but I do know of people who put apple with it. And I like kielbasa but haven't had it for ages.

my grandmother never served pork without apple or applesauce somewhere in the recipe..........don't know why..........even pork chops were served with applesauce.............................raven

we never serve it with apples or applesauce. is your grandmother german BBR? maybe its the germans that DONT put apples in them.....never had it with apples before.

yep she was German............her parents were from Rankin, Germany....she was first generation American, although some of her siblings were not..........she was one of 13...........but..............I always noticed some elements of Pennsylvania Dutch in her cooking.......my gawd that woman could cook.........her pies crusts, which were to die for BTW, they were totally Penn Dutch................................................raven

My heritage is mostly German, and I love pork or smoked sausage and sauerkraut, cooked with chopped onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, and a liberal sprinkle of caraway or celery seed.

For New Year's Day, though, this Southern girl will eat the traditional Southern pork, collards, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I'll serve sliced fresh tomatoes, sweet onions, and pickled peppers alongside. My collards are simmering in the slow cooker right this minute! YUM!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/1/2015 colliegirls said:
On 1/1/2015 Madisson said:
On 1/1/2015 puglet1 said:

We eat herring today.

We always have that on hand for New Year's day also...herring in sour cream.

We have to eat a little bit of herring too, its tradition, but we all hate it!! Have the pork chops, sauerkraut, and kielbasi in the crock pot cooking!!!

I love kraut, pork, sausages, and even the herring in sour cream -- but none of those is part of the New Year's Day tradition here in the South! I'll definitely enjoy them another day, though!

Respected Contributor

On 1/1/2015 GoodStuff said:

My heritage is mostly German, and I love pork or smoked sausage and sauerkraut, cooked with chopped onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, and a liberal sprinkle of caraway or celery seed.

For New Year's Day, though, this Southern girl will eat the traditional Southern pork, collards, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I'll serve sliced fresh tomatoes, sweet onions, and pickled peppers alongside. My collards are simmering in the slow cooker right this minute! YUM!

hey................you KNOW there has to be some vinegar in there somewhere.....a good German always throws some vinegar in there somewhere LOL................................raven

Regular Contributor

we eat it at thanksgiving, but not for new years.....part of our german heritage.

Isn't it interesting that the German traditions are so different for us. I'm also of German descent and it's sauerkraut and pork on New Year's Day. We eat split pea soup on New Year's Eve - all for good luck. A friend of mine used to make her son visit her at midnight on New Year's Eve - the first person through the door had to be a dark-haired male - for good luck - and he had to give her a coin.

Regular Contributor

On 1/1/2015 gidgetgoeshawaiian said: We had a Hormel pork roast for lunch and sauerkraut and cabbage. I just finished burning our bayberry candle.

Interesting - is the bayberry candle you burn for good luck? We burn one on Christmas Eve - for good luck - start it at dusk and burn in a window. It must burn the entire candle before daylight on Christmas Day. Have also been told this is a German tradition. I suppose the traditions were different from one area to another.

Honored Contributor

maybe it depends then on where they were from in germany and how they adapted the recipes once they got here. while we are close to the pennsylvania dutch area my family never considered themselves pennsylvania dutch. all of the ways of preparing the foods though sound yummy! happy new year BBR....hope you were able to share some of the holidays with the polar bears. WinkKiss

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

maybe it depends then on where they were from in germany and how they adapted the recipes once they got here. while we are close to the pennsylvania dutch area my family never considered themselves pennsylvania dutch. all of the ways of preparing the foods though sound yummy! happy new year BBR....hope you were able to share some of the holidays with the polar bears. WinkKiss

I think region had a lot to do with preparation of food as well as customs..........my family held to feeding the men first before the women and children at holidays..........when the men were finished then the women and kids ate....generally when the women were eating the men were drinking schnapps and playing cards in another room..........but I know not all germans did that.........I worked with a gal whose family did the same thing, but she is the only other german person I have met whose family followed that custom.......I was real happy grandma stole that Penn Dutch twist on pie crust...........seriously we would fight over the left over pieces, she would take the left over bits and roll it out cover it in cinnamon and sugar, then bake it............. it melted in your mouth.............sooooooooooooo good.......................................raven

ETA................no polar bears this year LOL..........and I missed the little fellows..........just Santa this year..................................................raven

Honored Contributor

No pork here.

We had 5 Guys' burgers and fries.

Respected Contributor

yes, pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, every New Year.

I've never had it with apples or applesauce.