Valued Contributor

I tip those workers who have reduced salaries because their jobs are based on tips. These would be waitresses, shampoo girls, hair dressers. I do not tip owners or persons earning regular wages.

Honored Contributor
On 9/13/2014 TaxyLady said:

I tip those workers who have reduced salaries because their jobs are based on tips. These would be waitresses, shampoo girls, hair dressers. I do not tip owners or persons earning regular wages.

I tip the above, plus housekeeping at hotels, doorman who hails a cab, Tax & town car drivers, ice cream cone stand (they have a tip jar), deliverymen with large appliances, furniture, etc. I tip the daily news carrier in the quarterly invoices and give him a cash gift at Christmas. I give a nice Christmas cash gift (and a case of beer - his favorite) to the condo maintenance man. He brings me fresh produce all summer long from his garden.

Never owners of a business, except my hair stylist, whom I have known for over 30 years, does a fantastic job with my less than stellar hair and I have always tipped.

I make bundles of Lindt chocolate bars for the mailman, UPS and Fed Ex guys, news carrier, whoever else I think did a great job throughout the year.

Super Contributor

Pretty much the average, hair salon, pedicure person, waiters, furniture delivery, granite installers (that stuff is HEAVY), appliance delivery, housekeeping at hotel per night and per how many in the room, airport sky caps, airport shuttle bus drivers, excursion entrepreneurs/employees on cruises like captain of boat for snorkeling, or helicopter tour pilot . . . lots of varied people . . . sometimes just a ten or twenty, per person, depending on circumstances and satisfaction with job performed or experience of the adventure.

Trusted Contributor

My hair stylist, even though she owns her business (she just had a baby, so she uses her tips for things for her little one)

The pizza delivery guy

Restaurant servers

Somebody who does something for me: the guys who installed our new kitchen cabinets and the new kitchen floor, the guys who came in to assemble my elliptical, etc.

The cleaning people who clean our hotel rooms when we're on vacation

Drivers (When DH and I visit Chicago, he takes the car to do his business during the day. But he always hires a driver for me to shop, to visit with friends, etc. The driver is always great, very polite and courteous. I tip him because I appreciate that he's helping me. I don't use cabs or subways or anything like that.)

Basically anybody who I think has done a great service for me and I appreciate his or help help.