Honored Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

Courtney, the bridesmaid, is in the wrong. She made a commitment, doesn't matter whether it was a wedding or some other event, and, rather than declining when asked or as soon as she knew she couldn't fully participate, she created additional stress and a problem for the bride, picking and choosing what she would and for how long.

Then, to make it more about her, she made the whole thing public. With friends like that...

Esteemed Contributor

There had to have been converstations concerning this matter before this final letter.  The bridesmaid was asked to particiapte and she accepted.  When it became apparent she would not be able to fully participate then she should have backed out. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I read this story several days ago and have no idea why people today do everything by e-mail or texting.  While this conversation should have been done months ago, it should have been done either in person (the bride seems to have unlimited funds to travel from her pre-wedding descriptions) or by phone.

As someone, like many of you, who has gone to school for what seems like forever, there is always a way to take days off to attend something as important as a wedding, if you really want to be there.  To take the chance of flying in the night of the wedding means that you might not make it there anyway.  We are seeing a record number of computer problems and weather causing delays of days--not hours--at our airports.

I did read a quote from someone saying that the bridesmaid dodged a bullet by not having to wear a jumpsuit as wedding attire.  

The bride cannot expect everyone to attend all of the festivities, especially if the others are paying their own way.  If not, this wedding is costing a fortune, another thing that I don't understand.  She should not expect the return of the jumpsuit; and, knowing the work schedule of this young woman while she is in school should have also been discussed before asking her to be a bridesmaid. They both have very different priorities.

It appears that the bride is demanding, which is her right for all wedding details, and the friend has a priority of her education.  Neither are wrong and neither are more mature than the other and neither is really immature as it is all about priorities.  I believe there was more than one discussion about this issue; but in the end, the friendship is probably over.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I think they are both wrong! The bridesmaid should have said upfront, Sorry but with school and everything, it is going to be too hard for me, I would love to come but I can't be in it. The Bride should have spoken with her when she first asked her to be in it, will there be any problems with attending X,Y and Z?

If there is let me know now so we can work something else out. Be Upfront and Honest!!!!!  Both sound like they weren't very upfront and honest with each other from the very beginning!

What a mess and probably the end of a friendship....Although one has to wonder how close they really were that they couldn't talk about this in the beginning....??? 

Honored Contributor

Times have sure changed since I was a bridesmaid (about 7 or 8 times, years ago).  There was no bachelorette party, or weekend.  Nor were the attendants required to do much in the way of "prep", other than to throw a bridal shower.  I don't see blame on either parts in this case.  Just different priorities.  No need for the friendship to end, if it was a good friendship to begin with.....had there been a verbal discussion, rather than a cop-out electronic message.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand. Is the issue that the bridesmaid can't be there for the entire wedding ceremony or the bridesmaid duties?

I'm old school and don't have daughters so I don't know much about  bridesmaid's "so called duties." I think the whole thing is ridiculous and a waste of more money! Years ago, when I was married, I had my best friends and sister in my wedding. I was the one who felt honored to have them! We didn't do any of this. My ddil had all of this hoop-la and is right now involved with it for her cousin's wedding. I see it as unnecessary and a waste of money. I think some of these brides think getting married is about a wedding and not a marriage. They're in for a rude awakening!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

Nothing whatsoever to do with JetBlue.  Why should  that company care? 

Honored Contributor

This is just more reason why I despise these big, elaborate wedding events.  How many things did this bride schedule for her wedding?  The bridesmaids are supposed to put their lives on hold for so much more than just the wedding, and it can indeed be a burden for many. 

I think both women were at fault.  The bride should have taken her bridesmaid's lives and schedules into consideration, and the bridesmaid should have been proactive in letting her know that she couldn't fulfill a lot of the activities -- in private between two friends. 

I wonder how large the entire wedding party was -- when I see brides with 20 of their closest friends in their wedding party, it just seems like a school homecoming parade of who's the most popular, instead of a wedding. 

Honored Contributor

The one who is wrong is the bride for asking her to wear a jumpsuit...and asking her to pay to return it.
Honored Contributor

THey were all wrong.