Honored Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

For the finders of fault: back in the 50s and early 60s women married in their 20s.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

For the finders of fault: back in the 50s and early 60s women married in their 20s.  

And the mid to late 70's also.

Myself and my best friend and 3 closest friends from high school were all married by the time we were 23.  Three of us have reached the 40+ mark.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Duck wrote:

What I really  want to see is a picture of the "jumpsuit"!!!!

LOL  My mind just could not accept the idea of bridesmaids in jumpsuits...LOL  It converted jumsuit to dress...LOL   I assume the bride was going to wear a jumpsuit too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've enjoyed the responses on the thread.

The jumpsuits got me thinking about the bridesmaid dress I had to buy and wear that I found most difficult to deal with. Mauve (not my color) knit, long, with a hood (at least we didn't have to put the hood up) that was trimmed with . . .feathers?  Some kind of swansdown? 

Difficult day--and yet (that was c. 1980, a family wedding), I think that must be among the strongest marriages I know of.  So one never knows how people will grow into their new lives as husband and wife.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Sorry, but I can't read this long, long story.

So why bother to comment?  Seems an odd thing to do.  Just move on to a shorter topic.

I think the intent was to scold the OP.  There's no other reason for a non-post like that.

Personally, I found the OP's post very easy to read.  She used paragraphs and punctuation, which is often not the case with long posts.  I didn't see it as a "long, long story".  I saw it as an interesting topic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll probably take some flack for saying this but I feel that our generation and those before us were more mature when we got married.  On the whole that is. I realize that all generations have their  strengths but I sense today they are more fragile emotionally than we were.  Maybe they have more stress but, it seems to me, they put a lot of stress on themselves.  Am I wrong?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Courtney, the bridesmaid, is in the wrong. She made a commitment, doesn't matter whether it was a wedding or some other event, and, rather than declining when asked or as soon as she knew she couldn't fully participate, she created additional stress and a problem for the bride, picking and choosing what she would and for how long.

Then, to make it more about her, she made the whole thing public. With friends like that...

@occasionalrain, you and I rarely agree, but I'm with you on this one.   

I don't even think it's so much about not being there for every wedding-related event.  It sounds as though she had planned her flights so she wouldn't even be there for the whole wedding.  As a bride, that would bother me.  It was inconsiderate for the bridesmaid to just do what she wanted while apparently leaving the bride out of the loop.  At the very least, she owed her friend honest communication.

And then she went public with this.  It certainly sounds as though she was only interested in getting her money back from the airline and some attention.  She seems to be very immature and a terrible friend.

Mostly because of the bridesmaid going public, I am Team Bride.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Can’t help but think this is a new type of ‘advertisement’ for JetBlue.

Create a crazy scenario where both girls

(note: I didn’t say ladies or women) can be both right or wrong..

but the real hero is the ✈️.

Kinda sad the most reliable & trustworthy one in this story

is the airline....and that’s w/ a crazy airline like JetBlue. 

The marketing exposure they're getting with this is priceless.

I don't know if it's true or not.  But if true, I'm kind of annoyed that JetBlue refunded her money.  Why would they do that?  Do airlines really refund money so easily?  My son recently had to cancel a very expensive flight for a far more legitimate reason, and he had to fight hard.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

This is just more reason why I despise these big, elaborate wedding events.  How many things did this bride schedule for her wedding?  The bridesmaids are supposed to put their lives on hold for so much more than just the wedding, and it can indeed be a burden for many. 

I think both women were at fault.  The bride should have taken her bridesmaid's lives and schedules into consideration, and the bridesmaid should have been proactive in letting her know that she couldn't fulfill a lot of the activities -- in private between two friends. 

I wonder how large the entire wedding party was -- when I see brides with 20 of their closest friends in their wedding party, it just seems like a school homecoming parade of who's the most popular, instead of a wedding. 

I think it's reasonable for a bride to expect that a friend who has agreed to be a bridesmaid understands that the assumption is she'll be there (at the very least) on the wedding day for the entire wedding.  

If my schedule was so tight that I had to leave early on the actual wedding day, I would for sure let the bride know and offer to come as a guest instead.  I would know that she had assumed I would be there for both ceremony and reception because that would be a logical assumption once I had said yes.  It sounds as though the bridesmaid left the bride in the dark for awhile, booked her flights, and then started whining about it publicly.  The bride at least sounded as though she was trying to be nice.  The bridesmaid sounds self-centered and annoying.

JMO!

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

In general, sometimes it's like taking a small break, hearing and commenting on 'this and that' gossip/news.  Something to talk about that isn't blood-pressure-raising.  Nothing too serious.  Just plain 'small talk' is a brief deflection, pause, etc. away from more serious subjects. 

I'm perfectly fine reading this type of thread.

Exactly.  Everything doesn't have to be heavy and deep all the time.  A nice break from the serious is actually a very healthy thing!  

I'm sure lots of us come here for a diversion from real life or current events or whatever  - either often or just every now and then.  I like seeing a variety of topics to read and post on.  So, like you, I'm perfectly fine with this type of thread.  :-)