Respected Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

@Venezia wrote:

It seems the bridesmaid was going to be out the money for the flight (that she wouldn't be taking, after the "honor" was rescinded).  That seems to be why she tweeted (or whatever) JetBlue and how the whole thing went viral.

I might've contacted the airline privately, but perhaps in the heat of the moment, she did the first thing that occurred to her.

Kudos to JetBlue for refunding her airfare (which they didn't need to do).  As for the rest, I simply don't think an email was a good way for the bride to tell her "friend" to relinquish her place in wedding and to send the jumpsuit so someone else could wear it!  A phonecall might've resolved things more amicably with fewer hurt feelings.

So glad I kept my wedding very small and private! 

As someone whose ticket prices are surely affected by this act of "generosity" by Jet Blue, I have a different take.

They should have "honored" whatever their policy is on canceling flights and refunds - and certainly not offered an additional free flight to make up for her upset over being removed as a bridesmaid.

I would feel differently if we were talking about a family member of a military person who lost life in service to our country - but this - no.  All it does is encourage people to think that they are entitled to free stuff whenever they are upset.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer- I agree that JetBlue shouldn't have offered an additional flight to be taken at a later date.

As to refunding the existing airfare, that's up to them.  She made it public and left JetBlue in the position of (publicly) responding.  Poorly done, no matter how you look at it.  I'm certain she did it that way deliberately, as her ticket likely wasn't refundable, so she put them in the position of heartless grinch, if they didn't refund her airfare.

Neither the bride nor the bridesmaid comes out of this looking good and I don't think JetBlue needs to worry about honoring the offer of a further flight.  As I've said before, I doubt the friendship will continue.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I do not have time to read all the responses, but I am shocked that Jet Blue refunded the ticket.  They did not have to do that, and frankly they shouldn't as they did nothing wrong.

I find it hard to believe they did.  This whole thing seems like a lame made up story.