Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who do y@@@@@ou think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

@occasionalrain wrote:

@chrystaltree Actually, the bride offered to pay for the jumpsuit and the postage to send it to her. The right thing to do.

I've found there are those who accept or volunteer and then want to limit their involvement. To me, it doesn't matter what the bride chose with regard to her wedding, either accept, all of it, or decline. If after accepting other activities and expenses were added, then resign while there was time to choose a replacement.

This bridesmaid is inconsiderate and bride's nightmare.

@occasionalrain, I totally agree.

Honored Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

@Bri63 wrote:

It cracks me up how many “events” are associated with weddings now 

@Bri63

LOL .....  and other things.  I still can't believe people are having "gender reveal parties".   I guess some people just have waaaay too much time on their hands and have no idea what to do with it.  Pity.

Honored Contributor

I think these ladies should go their separate ways.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the whole thing is laughable.  The bride was probably figuring it seems you don't seem to have the time to be in the wedding and participate to the extent I want.  Did she approach it right?  No, but ok.  The bridesmaid publicized it with probably no real thought it would blow up to this.  As many have said, they need to grow up and realize the whole world does not revolve around either of them, as many young people do. 

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer

Hi Isobel!

I was a bridesmaid and maid of honor several times in the old days and truly, the only duty was to get a dress and walk down the aisle.

It shocks me how weddings have become so involved and expensive.  My husband and I will celebrate our 53rd wedding anniversary in December.  I was 19 when we were married by a Justice of the Peace.  No one from either family or friends attended because we eloped! No photos or flowers either!  BTW, not one gift was received.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Times have sure changed since I was a bridesmaid (about 7 or 8 times, years ago).  There was no bachelorette party, or weekend.  Nor were the attendants required to do much in the way of "prep", other than to throw a bridal shower.  I don't see blame on either parts in this case.  Just different priorities.  No need for the friendship to end, if it was a good friendship to begin with.....had there been a verbal discussion, rather than a cop-out electronic message.

Exactly!  I think some of the older women don't understand that.  When I got married 37 years ago; there were no bachelorette parties, the bride's dad paid for all the bridesmaids gowns so any girl who had to cancel, returned the gown to the bride.  Weddings were't weekend extravaganzas and being asked to be a bridesmaid really was an honor.  You actually helped the bride with this and that.   It's different now.  I think the bride was considerate, kind, thoughtful and quite obviously did not want this thing to impact their friendship.  She was just stuck between a rock and hard place with a bridesmaid who wasn't in a position to participate fully but for some odd reason, it never occurred to her to drop out as soon as she knew it wouldn't work for her.  I think you are right, it would have been better of the bride had called the fired bridesmaid rather than emailing her.  Although, honestly the "fired" bridesmaid was never going to take it well.  

Honored Contributor

Without reading any of the replies and only the O/P:

I feel as though the bridesmaid should have notified the bride as soon as she found that she wouldn't be able to attend the various bridesmaids' pre-wedding functions.

Well, that's how I feel right now.  Who knows, I've been known to 'change my mind'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think the saddest thing is that nonsense like this takes up news and talk shows when we could be hearing about real issues, reviewing books worth reading, or going over listings of local events people might enjoy--like festivals, museum offerings and such.

No wonder we are in the shape we are in.  It's all silliness like this a puppy stories.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I do not have time to read all the responses, but I am shocked that Jet Blue refunded the ticket.  They did not have to do that, and frankly they shouldn't as they did nothing wrong.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

No, Jet Blue didn't need to do anything, but since their name was brought into the story, it was good PR.