Honored Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Sorry, but I can't read this long, long story.

WHY???

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Sorry, couldn't get through it all. Since it's like a newspaper clipping, I wouldn't worry about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar situation back in '76.....but my Bridesmaid told me right away there might be issues being around for all the festivities...

I told her to participate in whatever she was able to.....I was just  happy to have her around for my wedding....

She was married ....so her partner was her husband.......I forgot about it until I read this post...

Honored Contributor

In my opinion they were both wrong.

Normally you get asked well in advance to be a bridesmade and can't predict the future.  

Once she realized she wasn't going to be able to give full attention to her own life or her "duties" as a bridesmaid she should have backed out.

On the other hand, the bride should have been gracious enough to say I want you here for whatever festivities you are able to participate in.

Respected Contributor

If I was the bridesmaid and got refunded for the dress and flight and did not have to go, I would be doing the happy dance, cartwheels and just so happy I did not have to fly on Jet Blue and go to a wedding.   As for the friendship, it probably was not much to begin with and if it was it will survive....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Geez, it’s a shame this went so public, how embarrassing for both girls...I think the bride is a bit over the top, especially if she has several other bridesmaids...if she only has a few I could see this being an issue, but most girls today have fairly large bridal parties, so as long as she’s there for the ceremony and the important duties, so what if she’s not able to be there for every single moment...eesshh there goes that friendship.

on a side note, I think brides obsess and worry more about the perfect wedding day and their dresses than the actual marriage...jmo 😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Valued Contributor

They both sound so immature.

Honored Contributor

Don't you just love how the bride expects everyone to essentially jump through hoops in order to be there for every single moment of the additional events and activities?  Not only does she try to make it be the bridesmaid's lack of planning the reason for "firing her", but then she has the nerve to ask for her outfit so someone else can wear it and then goes on to turn it all around and say, "don't feel you're letting me down".  That's priceless.  Umm, did she ever bother to think that the bridesmaid has a job and that a Sunday flight was the best she could do?  If the bride really cared about the relationship, she would have been happy and accepting of whatever amount of participation her friend could do outside of the actual ceremony and reception.  and what about the new bridesmaid?  I wonder how she feels knowing she was a runner up after thought?  Tacky all the way around, on the part of the bride, if you ask me.  She's the one who blew it, if this friendship goes down the tubes.

I swear some of these brides think they're bestowing a great honor by asking someone to be in their wedding.  It's an expensive investment for these girls to fullfil their rolls in the cost of the dress, shoes, jewelry, hair, manicure, makeup, shower, shower gift, bachelorette party, wedding gift, maybe paying a babysitter.  Having just been through this, I think much of it is over the top nonsense.  

When DH and I were planning our wedding, a girlfriend of mine and a buddy of his were a couple.  They were to be paired together for our ceremony too.  We all lived in the same general area for a few years and then my friend returned to her family home in a different state so she could pursue a degree and live at home to save money while doing it.  After awhile, the long distance thing stopped working and our friends broke up and she felt it was best to back out of being a bridesmaid.  I was disappointed but I totally understood why she couldn't participate in the wedding.  Fortunately, for her, this all took place before the dress shopping so she wasn't out anything yet.  There was no way I was going to have a replacement so DH had to explain things to his friend, who was very gracious about the whole thing.  He still attended as a guest.  We don't see either of them anymore aside from my connection with her on Facebook and our occasional bumping into him, but there have never been any hard feelings by any of us for the way things worked out.

Honored Contributor

Can’t help but think this is a new type of ‘advertisement’ for JetBlue.

Create a crazy scenario where both girls

(note: I didn’t say ladies or women) can be both right or wrong..

but the real hero is the ✈️.

Kinda sad the most reliable & trustworthy one in this story

is the airline....and that’s w/ a crazy airline like JetBlue. 

The marketing exposure they're getting with this is priceless.

Honored Contributor

Is this true or BS?  This has got to be one of the most useless, dumbest things I have heard.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)