Honored Contributor

Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

A bridesmaid has asked JetBlue to refund her ticket after being fired from her role as bridesmaid in her friend’s upcoming wedding.

Courtney Duffy, an MBA student at Ivy League Dartmouth College, took to Twitter to vent her frustrations after her friend and bride-to-be Alex sent her an email asking Duffy to “relinquish” her “duties as a bridesmaid.”

“SOS @JetBlue! Booked my X-C [cross-country] flights for a wedding, then was asked ‘to relinquish’ my ‘duties as a bridesmaid’ & mail my bridesmaid outfit X-C so another girl could fill in and wear it (Happy bday to me!) I am laughing & crying & must avoid this wedding at all costs. Pls help?” Duffy wrote on Twitter.

Bride-to-be Alex wrote:

“I'm so glad to hear you booked flights! I'm sorry classes are taking such a long time to sort out. I know how hard you're working to be here for the wedding and it means so much to us!” Alex writes in the email, Marie Claire reported. “I have a massive favor to ask you, though - and this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to ask anyone - but I need to ask you to relinquish your duties as a bridesmaid.”

“Come to the wedding, have a fabulous time, and travel in the time you need to without stressing about anything else!” the letter continued. “When I asked you, I was really hoping that you could be a part of this whole thing - the bachelorette trip, at least the weekend, prep and the full night of the event (a Sunday night flight means you won't even be able to be there for the whole wedding)... the whirlwind nature of what your travel has become just won't work with the duties as a party member. I'm so, so sorry!!”

“Please don't feel you're letting me down, I am asking you to do this. I love you and value your friendship so much and I fully understand the need for you to prioritize school! I want you to be able to focus on that without also worrying about any extra wedding worries.”

“And I know this is incredibly awkward, but there is a possibility that I might be able to have someone else step into the role and assume the duties. Could you please mail the jumpsuit to me? I'll Venmo you the postage and the cost of the jumpsuit - just let me know the total,” and if you'd like to chat on the phone, let me know! I promise we're totally cool!”

** JetBlue did refund the ticket, and went on to offer Courtney another ticket to spend a girls' weekend with Bride Alex in the future.

People seem to be split - some say Alex is acting like an spoiled bride and "firing" Courtney is terrible, and some say Courtney is wrong to accept the duties knowing she would not be able to be there for most of it, and Alex is right for doing it. 

I agree with those who think Courtney is wrong. Although she probably didn't know her schedule when she accepted, once she found out she wouldn't be able to even attend the whole reception, as well as other events, she should have dropped out. In all of the excitement of her wedding, Alex should not have to worry about a bridesmaid who can't be present at a lot of the festivities. 

I still think one of the best weddings DD has been a bridesmaid for was the fall wedding of one of her college friends. The bride was living in the midwest. Her six bridesmaids were from both coasts and the Southwest! They planned everything by e-mail. EVERYONE had to fly to be there. The girls wore red dresses of different styles, but the same shade of red. They went to the David's bridal shop nearest them. DD and a friend flew out Thursday. The bride's mother paid for all of the bridesmaids' rooms at the resort where everything was taking place (that was nice!). The bachelor party and bachelorette parties were Thursday night. The bridesmaids' luncheon/bridal shower was Friday, and rehearsal and dinner were Friday night. The wedding was Saturday afternoon and the reception after. They had an informal brunch Sunday morning, and everyone left. DD took off work Friday and was back Monday. She's been in a lot of weddings, formal to informal and small to large, and this was probably one of the easiest for her!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Who do you think is right? (Bridesmaid fired story)

Sorry, but I can't read this long, long story.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

The bridesmaid apparently has something to discuss with the bride, why doesn't she do it in person, phone or email instead of letting it get back to her on someplace like Twitter? What a drama queen.

Honored Contributor

I think both the bride and bridesmaid are very immature.

i would be embarrassed if either of these two young ladies were my daughters.

They both need to grow up.  I hope they are happy with their new found fame.

If  I was the groom, I'd make a quick exit.  There is going to be no pleasing his bride once they are married....Red Flag warning!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I think it's a good possibility that it's the end of the friendship of Alex & Courtney.  

I think bride to be Alex is too over the top in her spoiled demands. She sounds very selfish to me.  Who "fires" a bridesmaid unless that person has done something truly awful?  Courtney is only doing what she needs to do for herself by attending school.

Though it's nice to have your friends participate in the endless round of multi-day partying but is it really necessary for each bridesmaid to be there for each event?  The bottom line is the wedding but it makes me wonder just how ell the marriage will go if bride to be Alex doesn't always get her way.

Esteemed Contributor

Way too much drama for me!!  The bride sounds like a spoiled brat!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Sorry, but I can't read this long, long story.

So why bother to comment?  Seems an odd thing to do.  Just move on to a shorter topic.

Honored Contributor

Real life is going to be a real shock for these two.

Honored Contributor

I read this story elsewhere and I wasn't at all sure what the complete issue was.  The bride-to-be saying that her friend's flight meant she couldn't be there for the "whole wedding"?  How could she be a bridesmaid, if she wasn't there for the "whole wedding"?

Did she mean she just couldn't be there for all the additional festivities, but could be there for the actual ceremony?  Either way, I'd say the friendship is over.

Honored Contributor

Bridzilla for sure!!  It's not a real job and just a weddng that judging  from her behavior won't last very long anyway!!  If I had good friends I wanted to be in my wedding, I would be happy they could just be there for the wedding and not expect their presence for every probably boring minute of things that the bride considers a MUST!!  This bride should have interviewd and hired paid bridesmaids so she could rule their lives for everything she insited on!!  The groom needs to run fast and far - NOW!!!