Honored Contributor

Re: Who Would You Want to Update your Home?

Nate Berkus and Jerimiah.  They both have excellent taste.  They moved to New York but I hope they still offer their program this season.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

To update the electrical, plumbing, the inner workings of the house etc., I would want the This Old House team.

If it were interior design it would be Nicole Curtis.

Honored Contributor

@icezeusTake that cheapness and remember it well if you or anyone you love is looking to buy a flip.  Pretty much the way flippers make $$$ is by skimping on quality.

I watch more HGTV than I do shopping channels, but one of the things that clashes with what I know about buying and selling real estate is that it's so easy for us as viewers to forget that WHY a home is being renovated can be as important as who is doing it.

The other thing that's not emphasized is that prices vary, sometimes widely, based on location and that's true for more than the land costs.  That's pretty obvious on most of the shows.  What isn't discussed often is that labor costs also vary.

As for the overall costs, I see some posters think they're high.   Maybe I've seen too many reruns this summer, but I think that for a renovation in which all the designing, construction, finishing, staging, is done by professionals, the prices are low.  People who can do a good portion of the work themselves have a far different cost factor.

Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@icezeusTake that cheapness and remember it well if you or anyone you love is looking to buy a flip.  Pretty much the way flippers make $$$ is by skimping on quality.

I watch more HGTV than I do shopping channels, but one of the things that clashes with what I know about buying and selling real estate is that it's so easy for us as viewers to forget that WHY a home is being renovated can be as important as who is doing it.

The other thing that's not emphasized is that prices vary, sometimes widely, based on location and that's true for more than the land costs.  That's pretty obvious on most of the shows.  What isn't discussed often is that labor costs also vary.

As for the overall costs, I see some posters think they're high.   Maybe I've seen too many reruns this summer, but I think that for a renovation in which all the designing, construction, finishing, staging, is done by professionals, the prices are low.  People who can do a good portion of the work themselves have a far different cost factor.

I completely agree with you @millieshops .  My husband and I have had numerous remodeling projects completed over the last several years, and I have been shocked at how much it has cost.  Maybe part of the reason is that we built our house 25 years ago and did a lot of the work ourselves.  But I also find that compared to some of the fairly modest budgets I see on shows like Fixer Upper or Home Town, there is no way we could get the results they do for the same money here in the northeast.  

I like both of those shows, although I think Ben and Erin Napier are a bit too country for my taste.  Another show I like is a Flip or a Flop Atlanta.  I think Ken and Anita Corsini do really nice work, also for a price that makes me think of moving south.  I could never actually do that, though, as I love where I live.  

Honored Contributor

I love everything I've seen Hillary Farr of Love It And List It do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I love everything I've seen Hillary Farr of Love It And List It do.

Hillary Ive always found exhibits aggresive tendencies, She gets very annoyed when people challenge her ideas. That is not the mark of a good designer in my opinion. She should work with the homeowner not dictate what needs to be done.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@fortune wrote:

Speaking of renovation, whatever happened to Christina on the Coast?  It was so lame!!!  Is she still married to Ant?

@fortune   Yes they are married and just had a baby.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Do you know if the show, Christina on the Coast, will ever be back?  Thanks for the info, proudly!

Honored Contributor

Candace Olsen, or Hillary Pfarr or Property Brothers. I especially love Candace Olsen's designs.... 

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@fortune wrote:

Speaking of renovation, whatever happened to Christina on the Coast?  It was so lame!!!  Is she still married to Ant?

@fortune   Yes they are married and just had a baby.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Do you know if the show, Christina on the Coast, will ever be back?  Thanks for the info, proudly!

@fortune   No, I don’t know about the status of the show. I just knew she was pregnant and read not to long ago that she had the baby. 

Honored Contributor

Genevieve Gorder