Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Who Usually Drives You or DH?

After 48 years I am beginning to take over the bulk of the driving.  Both of my sons have wanted me to do so for a few years.  đź™€

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

my husband doesn't think i am a good driver....in 1971 we were driving home from a military base in MS to RI....we were newly married....after many comments about my driving, i pulled off the highway in VA and told him to drive!  shortly after taking over the wheel, he was stopped for speeding....at that time, VA law was that you had to pay for the ticket before you crossed state lines!  we didn't have enough money....so my husband was detained at the police station while i ran all over town to get some cash..........we paid the ticket and headed to RI....my parents were having a welcome home party for us..and we had to explain why we were so late!!  i NEVER drove with him in the car since that day!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby is number one driver.  He is slower and more deliberate than I am however and often is the target of fast and furious drivers who are always in a hurry.  

Honored Contributor

Depends on where we’re going, and whose car we are in.

He has the big, heavy, SUV automatic,  I have a small, sporty, straight shift.  On long haul trips I usually drive as he can sleep in the car and I can not.  Besides, I really do like driving.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

We both still drive ourselves if traveling alone.  But, if we're going anywhere together, I usually do the driving at my husbands request.  I've always been a very good driver, and at 79 yrs old, I'm still a better driver then most.  I'm not afraid to drive anywhere, highway, freeway, town whatever.  I have friends who are much younger then I am and they are afraid of everything, drives me crazy.  I always do the driving since I know they aren't comfortable driving.    

Honored Contributor

rarely does he come anywhere with me,therefore, I drive myself.

if we go together, he drives while I complain "push the gas pedal"🙄 if it's a 60 mph he does 55 not to go above speed limit -- drives me nuts!  

Respected Contributor

I do almost all the driving especially  on highways. Dh is a lead foot sloooooow driver. His driving makes me carsick. He navigates.

Trusted Contributor

My dh does most of the driving!  He is a wonderful highway and long distance driver.   BUT!!! he makes me crazy on short trips and city streets.   Drives a little too fast and follows too close!  I try not to be a nag so I am usually shaking by the time we arrive back home!!!  Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

Oh hunny, im always in the driver seat! My husband drives me Crazy when hes driving and after much heated arguments and emotions, ive decided that its much better when im in the driver seat. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sfnativeI would be terrified to ride with him. You must have nerves of steel

@cherry

I am.  I pray and constantly have my eyes on the road and the traffic.