Honored Contributor

Re: Who Taught You How to Drive?

driving school during high school.

they would pick us up after classes and we would be paired in threes.

we took turns as drivers and passengers.

i did not ever learn how to drive a stick shift and never wanted to learn. there was no need to.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My mom. She's laid back yet conscientious. Perfect for teaching someone to drive. I learned to drive on the roads at our state fairgrounds during the off season. It was fun.

I did not want my dad to do it. I had to heal my residual trauma from witnessing my dad trying to teach my mom to drive our tiny manual shift sports car. Me all hunkered in the cramped backseat and my dad shrieking at my mom, "Clutch clutch CLUTCH!" All that jerking back and forth with no way to get out. What on Earth made them think I needed to be there? It's all forgiven now. But no, when it was time to learn to drive I knew Dad did not have the temperament for it. Mom all the way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Dinaki  What years did you live there? My parents were missionaries at a hospital in Nazareth, but they frequently had business in Addis. I know several people who lived with their parents in and around Addis. So, I'm sure we have friends in common. They all interacted on a professional basis with Haile Selassie

Honored Contributor

Um ... me.   I learned a few basic things about vehicle operation from my Dad. 

One summer we were on vacation in the Pocono Mts and my grandparents lived next door to people who had a small limousine service.  The cars were stored elsewhere, but they had a large parking area hidden behind their home.  My Mom gave me the keys and told me I could  "practice" in that open area.  Two rules ....  I couldn't go outside that lot, and I couldn't go faster than 10 miles per hour!  I learned how to parallel park, and all sorts of things ... in "slow motion".

Honored Contributor

My good friend taught me.  My husband got too nervous and made me too nervous.

I'd already had as many as 3 learner's permits (expired, etc..pregnant..etc).

I didn't get the real license until I was 27 years old.  We'd moved to a house that wasn't near any busses.

I HAD to learn to drive or stay home all of the time.

Respected Contributor

My boyfriend that summer and I took drivers ed when school started.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe I am the first to say my boyfriend.  I can't imagine my father teaching me.  He would have had zero patience.  I took my drivers test in a huge Buick LeSabre at the age of 16.  Passed first time and I was very nervous.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

For me, it was my dad.

He taught me how to drive a stick shift.

He was so patient with me, and never once raised his voice.

He would complement me, encourage me, and give me helpful advice, and gently correct me if I did make a mistake.

So, who taught you how to drive?

Lucky you-my dad is the opposite, no patience, type a, perfectionist...obviously this doesn't make for a good driving instructor...so my mom took over.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I taught myself. I do not condsider myself a daring person. When I was maybe 13 I took my moms car out while she was working and drove around with some friends. I look back on that and think was that really me. I guess that says something about putting your keys where your kids can get them and carpooling to work. 

My mom did that back in the 1950's when she was ten years old by herself.  She drove about 30 minutes from their ranch to the city I live in now.  I forgot what she wanted and my grandparents would not take her.  Made it home safe and sound but they were waiting on her.

Oh how funny and scary. 30 miles at 10. Dang she was lucky.

I don't think I got caught. I know we were looking for boys. 

Respected Contributor

My dad taught me to drive when I was 10. We had a 1960 Ford Falcon back then. My mother, though, wasn't too happy about it.