Honored Contributor

Re: Who Taught You How to Drive?

Drivers Ed in high school.  We learned automatic.  When I met my husband, he taught me stick shift.  For a long time afterwards he always had stick shift cars.  I stayed with automatic.  I remember vividly learning stick shift.  Stopping at a top of a hill at a red light, rocking the car back & forth.

Respected Contributor

Image result for elvira the witch

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Well, we had it in school.  Thank heavens.  You wouldn't have wanted dad to do it.  (insert...no patience!!)

Honored Contributor

My boyfriend at the time was a year older he had his license and he taught me to drive his stick shift.  My dad also taught me to drive and took me out on a hill and had me stop in the middle of a hill and "hold" the stick shift car  and not roll backwards.  He also had me turn off the car in the middle of the hill, start it up and not roll backwards.  He also taught me to change a tire, check the oil and radiator fluid.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

It was a combination of my uncle and driver's ed. Back then, they still had the blue laws in Pa., so we'd go to the Bazaar of All Nations parking lot. It was HUGE and practically every kid with a learners permit was there getting some driving time under their belts. It's a miracle there weren't any collisions. Then, we went to our local public high school for instruction and actual road driving. Back then, the drivers ed cars had an extra steering wheel and set of brakes. Seat belts had just become standard in new cars. 

@Eileen in Virginia Was the Bazaar of all nations located in Horsham PA by the Naval Air Base? I would practice drive and parallel park in that lot.

@FlyersGirl  No, it was in Clifton Heights, near Springfield, PA. It was a long, rectangular building where vendors could rent store space. They had everything from a doll hospital to a Mennonite "deli". 

Esteemed Contributor

I took Drivers' Ed when I was a junior in high school where we learned on a "simulator."  After I passed the class and got my Learners' Permit, my dad taught me how to drive his Impala Super Sport 4-on-the-floor (Vroom! Vroom!).   In my senior year, I got a parttime job and bought a used red Volkswagen Beetle that I owned for over 10 years.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

High school driver's ed and a local driving school.  

Esteemed Contributor

Driver's Ed. in school.

I taught myself to drive a stick shift (knew the basics).  I was married by then and bought a car with a stick and had to learn to drive it. DH who was not one to yell gave me fits, so I just taught myself.

My sister would take my kids to cemetary to practice driving. Her therory was they wouldn't hurt anyone.

Trusted Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia I didn't know that there was more than one! I found this info when I googled:

"The Bazaar of All Nations in Horsham PA was an offshoot of the Bazaar in Upper Darby/Clifton Heights. In total, there were 4 Bazaars at one time or another (Upper Darby (the original), North Philadelphia, Horsham, and Bristol). These other Bazaars are shown and mentioned briefly in the film though not extensively covered as many of the shops had the same owners from the Upper Darby Bazaar and they lasted only a few years."

Respected Contributor

I had Drivers  Ed. in the summer. My Dad was manic and screamed,swore and yelled. He was normally loving and fun and never physical,  but could not take any stress. When he stopped swearing I caught on learning to drive stick on our second car. He yelled all the way in to take my test that we were going to be late. I was surprised I passed as upset.

We had a neighbor who was a Highway Patrolman and he took me out parallel parking to practice. I envyed the farm kids who drove trucks on the farm. They sailed through Drivers Ed.