Honored Contributor

Re: Who Taught You How to Drive?

@Anonymous032819 

My dad taught me. I had drivers ed, too, but it is my dad teaching me that I remember. I had a great dad. Miss him. Good memories.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was a combination of my mother who taught me to drive a stick shift, because that's all that she every drove, and Sears Driving School. I attended a private school so we did not have drivers ed, classes offered in high school.

I received my Permit at age 15 and my license at 16, I always joked that the moment that I received my license my mother never drove me anywhere again. 

Esteemed Contributor

My wonderful Dad taught me in 1964 in our manual transmission car. We went out to Camp Dodge outside of Des Moines and I drove the empty streets with him giving me patient instructions every time we went out there. He was so determined that I learn to drive a stick shift, and it served me well for years after. I have no idea how he came up with that location for driving lessons, but it was a great choice!

Valued Contributor

My driver's ed teacher in h.s. and a wonderful friend on a manual transmission whose family had bought her a camaro which was a popular car back then (had the black bumble bee stripe on the front of the hood, her car was yellow).  We are still friends.   

Trusted Contributor

My father taught me when I was 16.  I can still remember him saying "keep your eyes on the road ahead of you, never mind what the other drivers are doing". 

Respected Contributor

My Dad taught me and then i went to summer school Driver Ed so i could get a night driver's license at 17. it meant you could drive after dark on your own (i was 16 and had a learner's permit)

The driver ed cars were big 4 door cars, don't recall the make. The instructor had gas and brake pedals.   He had me drive on the 2 lane highway. No problem u ntil i apprached a car in front of us. He said "Ease up on the gas Ease up on the gas!" but i got confused and stepped on the gas.   Both of his feet wwere jamming on the brake pedal.

Oops rear ended the car. He got out, the other driver got out and  exchanged insurance info.  i guess it was bad, broken taillights and crumpled bumpers. 

i did get the night driver's license though later on when i passed the road test.

Esteemed Contributor

Driver's Ed in high school, taught by the dreamy physical education teacher. Can't forget that. He made us girls a nervous wreck. (wreck - could have used a better word)

Before license, big bro and I would go out to the country roads and switch seats. He had lots of patience. We'd drive and listen to the radio.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

High school Driver's Ed the summer I was 15. There were 4 students and the instructer. We all passed but for the girl who was doing a 3-point turn on a narrow road that wound around the hills. Midway through the turn the right rear tire was actually partially hanging over the cliff. The 3 of us in the back had to lean over as far as possible to the front seat to shift our weight. The instructor somehow remained calm and got us out of that predicament. However, the instructor drove home. That made me a nervous wreck. Why in the world the instructor thought that was a good place to practice I will never know. We learned on a stick shift. My dad tried to help with additional lessons but let's just say it was good that those ended quickly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Driver's Ed in school. Though I think my dad took me out to practice.

Didn't learn stick shift until about 25 years later...a boyfriend taught me in his standard car before a long roadtrip we were taking, so we could trade off driving. Haven't driven stick since. 

Honored Contributor

Dad taught me.  We went out driving every Sunday after church.  I remember it snowed the day I got my license.  We still took a road test, but it was only around the block.