Respected Contributor

Re: Who Taught You How to Drive?

My dad taught me in a big Lincoln Continental. My ex ttaught me how to drive a stick shift. Wish I still had one, but my last car was used and didn't have a choice. 

Honored Contributor

The driving instructor that my father hired. 

At the time we lived in south Jersey and one of the first places he took me was the now defunct Ellisberg Circle in Cherry Hill, NJ.  Talk about nerves!  Some of those circles (or roundabouts) were really nerve wracking for a new driver!

Honored Contributor

My dad taught me to drive.  First, he let me drive in a deserted parking lot on Sunday afternoons when the stores were closed.  He would lay out coins in the parking lot and ask me to stop on them.  I was 12 years old when I started.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

My middle older sister, of the 3. I paid half for the 1947 Chevy 4-door sedan, with manual vacuum shifting. I was 12 years old and working late nights as a car hop in 1951 making over $50 a week. She tricked me and said I was too young to learn. Never forgot that dirty trick she pulled.

So I bought me a Wizard motor bike and rode it everywhere, illegally of course. She eventually, 2 years later, took me took the huge parking lot where the ice rink was located, and that was where I learned how to drive.   

Bought my own 1st car, a 1950 Mercury Coupe. I was 15 when I bought it, and at 15.5 years old, got my learner's permit. I made sure my youngest older sister was with me when I drove. I still was mad at my other sister.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I learned how to drive in driver's ed in high school.  There were four students and the teacher.  When one boy was the driver, the three of us in the back seat would hold hands.  😜😬

Later my dad gnashed his teeth to the nubbins while I learned how to operate the vw choke and stick shift.

Honored Contributor

I took a drivers ed class.

Honored Contributor

Driver's Ed teacher and mom had that pleasure. I'd drive the car between our farms with my dad as passenger on occasion. There was one stop sign along the way and he'd yell "foot off the gas" whenever I approached it. I think he expected me to coast all the way there.

Honored Contributor

I took driver's ed when I was sixteen. It was from a private school, it was myself and three of my friends.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My Dad taught me to drive when I was 10-years old (a floor shift truck).  

Esteemed Contributor

My parents. Mainly my dad. I don't remember him raising his voice at me either. 

I taught my daughter. Little booger pulled out in front of a big truck after I told her not to. He honked at us, I really thought he was gonna hit us. We had us a come to Jesus meeting.