Respected Contributor

Re: Who Taught You How to Drive?

It was a combination of my uncle and driver's ed. Back then, they still had the blue laws in Pa., so we'd go to the Bazaar of All Nations parking lot. It was HUGE and practically every kid with a learners permit was there getting some driving time under their belts. It's a miracle there weren't any collisions. Then, we went to our local public high school for instruction and actual road driving. Back then, the drivers ed cars had an extra steering wheel and set of brakes. Seat belts had just become standard in new cars. 

Honored Contributor

My Mom did.  I got my hardship license two weeks after turning 15 while still in Jr. High.   I still had to take Driver's Ed. six months later the summer before high school.  It was strange being one of only two student driver's at my Jr. high school from Jan. to May.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I took drivers ed in high school but my dad was the one who took me out on weekends to get my drive time.  We would go to an apple orchard (it was fall in New England) and get apples.  It was fun and we would get a bag of fresh picked apples.  Not sure if he had a good time but I did lol. 

Respected Contributor

I taught myself. I do not condsider myself a daring person. When I was maybe 13 I took my moms car out while she was working and drove around with some friends. I look back on that and think was that really me. I guess that says something about putting your keys where your kids can get them and carpooling to work. 

Esteemed Contributor

Driver's training in high school.  I backed the car out of the garage but beyond that, I was never taken out by my parents or anyone else

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Back in Ethiopia, my parents had a driver. When we were going on the weekends to our holiday house in Lake Langano, he was always teaching me to drive the car. I learned to drive at a young age.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Trusted Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

It was a combination of my uncle and driver's ed. Back then, they still had the blue laws in Pa., so we'd go to the Bazaar of All Nations parking lot. It was HUGE and practically every kid with a learners permit was there getting some driving time under their belts. It's a miracle there weren't any collisions. Then, we went to our local public high school for instruction and actual road driving. Back then, the drivers ed cars had an extra steering wheel and set of brakes. Seat belts had just become standard in new cars. 

@Eileen in Virginia Was the Bazaar of all nations located in Horsham PA by the Naval Air Base? I would practice drive and parallel park in that lot.

Respected Contributor

I took driver's ed when I was 16 in high school during the summer.  We did it then because the teacher had 4 of us in a car and we had to take turns driving.  Let me tell you that the first time I was behind the wheel I terrorized everyone including me.  

My dad wasn't the type to let anyone touch his vehicle.  My older sister took me under her wing and let me drive her car for practice, then she took me to get my license.  I was lucky enough to pass on the first try.   My dad finally let me drive his car when I was in my late 20's.  All us kids had to buy our own cars.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I taught myself. I do not condsider myself a daring person. When I was maybe 13 I took my moms car out while she was working and drove around with some friends. I look back on that and think was that really me. I guess that says something about putting your keys where your kids can get them and carpooling to work. 

My mom did that back in the 1950's when she was ten years old by herself.  She drove about 30 minutes from their ranch to the city I live in now.  I forgot what she wanted and my grandparents would not take her.  Made it home safe and sound but they were waiting on her.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

My Dad.  He had a checklist.  Once I could do everything on the checklist I could take my driver's liscence exam.  He was great.  He gave me tips that I still use today even if it's unconsciously.