Trusted Contributor

controlling toxic thoughts............has anyone read this book? Well, I have started and for real I can't get angry again or as stressed as I have been.  Stress and toxic thoughts bring on disease in our bodies. Sigh UGH

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who Switched Off My Brain?

Haven't read it, but completely agree with the premise. When I discovered the inherent power of forgiveness, a large chunk of toxicity left my life. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

What were you so angry and stressed about?  If the sources of anger and stress are removed/avoided, wouldn't the "toxicity" diminish?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it will stop the toxic thoughts...........which I will be working on daily to de stress.........letting things go.

Valued Contributor

I try to practice just what you mentioned, DA.  It really does work.  One easy read is "Buddhist Bootcamp" - don't let the word Buddhist scare you off.  I highly recommend it as a way to adjust your thoughts for more peaceful and joyful living.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Negative emotions definitely affect our health.  One thing that sometimes helps me when I’m going through stressful times or have toxic people in my life is to reframe my thoughts into something more positive.  I try to think of some good or benefit that I will gain from the situation.  Generally these events teach us things, both good and bad, that are important for our growth. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Negative emotions definitely affect our health.  One thing that sometimes helps me when I’m going through stressful times or have toxic people in my life is to reframe my thoughts into something more positive.  I try to think of some good or benefit that I will gain from the situation.  Generally these events teach us things, both good and bad, that are important for our growth. 

Then again, there are those (not talking about the o/p!) who aren't happy unless they are miserable.

I know, I work with a couple of people like that.

No matter how I try to point out the positive about something, they are bound and determined to be negative.

I try to just walk away from that.

Trusted Contributor

Well I hate drama and for a while it seemed to follow me several years ago.  Yet It was issues that I have accepted or fixed........I like looking at things that make me happy such as a polo match on line or beautiful flowers and things of nature.  Beautiful things make me smile.  Just no more toxic thoughts.  It will be a learning process.  But I have to do this fast.

Trusted Contributor

I was supposed to get my grandbaby tomorrow since my former husband has her for nine days but he lied and now it will be the 10th.  My heart is broken and I was very very angry for three days as he has a family local in their town they moved to and they have a 6 year old son.............yet they will not share the time with me so I only get her for 6 days and they get her for 16..........sigh ugh.........so I have to get happy but the week is going to go so slow and who knows if he won't lie again.  I have to get the negative thoughts out of my mind.  My son is afraid to stand up to his dad.........my daughter in law would rather her be with me.......funny how things change over time.........now my daughter in law  likes me better than the step mom and my sons dad.  

Honored Contributor

Things have a way of straightening out usually.