Respected Contributor

Re: Who Remembers the Old Fashioned Hot Chocolate With Hersheys?

@Annabellethecat66-----all I keep in the house is what my Mother and Grandmother served us since we were little.

Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder........In a saucepan add equal amounts cocoa and real granulated sugar with a pinch of salt. Add enough water to make a slightly runny paste and then bring to a hard boil. While boiling add whole milk (I judge the amount by the color of the cocoa) and serve with dollops of real homemade whipped cream. 

Honored Contributor

My all-time favorite hot chocolate.  Contains bitter dark  chocolate, sugar and cinnamon.  Best ever. You can buy it  as tablet pieces to melt in hot milk, or a packet of powder. Either way it’s delicious.

D44B10E9-977A-4060-B451-9BA5DF07F9E3.jpeg

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used this recipe for hot cocoa

The Perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe

1 Tablespoon Hershey’s cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk

On Pinterest, it shows to boil 1 3/4 c of it on the stove until sugar is melted and then add the other 1/4 cup.

We just made it in a cup but you have to use boiling water!  If you don't, all the sugar won't melt.  Stir, stir, stir!  It settles quickly.  Add marshmallows or whipped cream for a real treat.

Today, I add a pkg of Swiss Miss with Marshmallows to a cup of coffee (instead of water) and top with whipped cream!  Yum!

Honored Contributor

i am not a big hot chocolate person, but i buy these for my mom all the time. she is addicted to them, especially during this time of the year.

they come in different flavors, but she likes the SUPREME flavor.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81IM3%2B35lKL._AC_UL320_SR178,320_.jpg

land o lakes chocolate supreme hot cocoa mix.

she mixes it 3/4 water, 1/4 half n half.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  It's evaporated milk  ,not condensed milk. sorry

@cherry @Annabellethecat66  And Eaglebrand is sweetened condensed milk.

Also you can buy the small cans of evaporated Pet or Carnation milk that another poster was talking about.  My mother always loved that in her coffee--which she would drink hours later when it was cold.

And are y'all talking about cocoa powder when you talk about unsweetened chocolate powder?  Baking cocoa powder?  Dutched or not?

Honored Contributor

OH, and if you haven't tried Williams-Sonoma salted caramel hot chocolate, OH MY GOODNESS!  That is the richest stuff I've ever had.  

Esteemed Contributor

I make and like both, the real Hershey's with milk, and the Swiss Miss with marshmallows (and yes water). I love the Turkey Hill mini market here in PA has Hershey's hot chocolate to dispense like coffee and it is delicious. I often stop by just for a hot chocolate..lol.. (I'm not a coffee drinker, I drink tea, and hot chocolate in the cold weather).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father always made hot cocoa on the stove using the simple Hershey’s recipe with real whipped cream on top. When I was in college I had a foods prep class and made French Chocolate which is devine! The recipe I used for it is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Decades later when my son was growing up I realized that I had lost that recipe,so I ended up buying the cookbook from a rare bookshop so that I could make it for him. He liked it,but was just as happy with the Hershey recipe or Swiss Miss. Figures!

Honored Contributor

Yes I am talking about powdered choc, not the falvored stuff but real cocoa. @Sooner

Droste is Dutch processed choc ,and I think it's better than Hershey, but not eveyone agrees ,and it can be hard to find

You must buy genuine choc, not the flavored imitation drink stuff

We always called evaporated milk condensed milk, which I think is correct. Eagle brand is sweetened ,and another producted entirely.  Evaporated milk is condensed, but not sweetened.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@cherry I don't think I could get over the condensed milk.  Isn't that very sweet?  I don't know, I'll look at the label.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.  I'll write down the recipe.  Thanks again.

you don't need condensed milk just regular milk

just mix the coco powder with a bit of water (1 or 2 tsp) to make  a mixture this way it combines better,  then add milk in a cup and microwave.  pouring the milk on the powder it doesn't combine well at all. 

it's not so complex