Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who Remembers the Old Fashioned Hot Chocolate With Hersheys?

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So I just made myself some hot chocolate.  It's supposed to not have sugar added and it is so sweet I can't drink the stuff.

Who here makes the kind like we used to drink made from Hershey's powdered?

I've bought the really expensive stuff (ordered it on line) and it still has too much sugar.

When I went to Weight Watchers I remember walking in the door and the leader said to each of us, "Sugar or Salt"?  Most are addicted either to sugar or salt.  I'm a salt lover but can't stand much sugar.  Put a bag of potato chips in front of me and look out, but I'll turn down anything sweet.

Can anyone tell me how to make the kind of hot chocolate with just Hershey's cocoa mix?  Should I just buy it?

---------------------------------
       My mother always made her hot chocolate on the stove.   I found this recipe on line - similar to hers.   I think she added some cinnamon to it and maybe cream.  Always topped with marshmallows or whipped cream.  (this was way before microwaves, fake milk, fake whipped cream. etc) Smiley Happy  She always used the Hershey's unsweetened powder...I still remember that brown can of brown powder!!

1. Combine the 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, 3/4 c. sugar, 1/3 c. water and dash salt in a medium saucepan.
  2. Over medium heat, stir constantly until the mixture boils. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Do not let mixture scorch.
  3. Stir in the 3 1/2 c. milk and heat, but do not boil.
  4. Remove from the heat and add 3/4 t. vanilla; stir well. Serve immediately.
Honored Contributor

@cherry I don't think I could get over the condensed milk.  Isn't that very sweet?  I don't know, I'll look at the label.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.  I'll write down the recipe.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  It's evaporated milk  ,not condensed milk. sorry

Respected Contributor

If you buy the Hershey's cocoa powder, the recipe for hot chocolate is on the back of it.

There is also a recipe for a single serving.

It's so easy to make. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Remembering way, way back:  My mom always had a teeny-tiny can of milk on the table for their coffee.  Anyone recall the brands?  I can visualize either Pet or Eagle(?) or something very vague.  Maybe Carnation?  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I remember Hershey's made a tin with the sweet powder (yum) and one with the unsweetened powder.  Big difference if you were taking a scoop for a sweet treat!

I don't know which was used, but I couldn't stand that 'skin' that would form on top sometimes.  Anyone remember that?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@TenderMercies Yes!  That's what I was thinking I was going to try.  I'm sure the recipe is on the label.  Doesn't seem like brain surgery....does it?  Ha!

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...I'm going to only buy things I KNOW I'll use.  Starting with hot chocolate.  Ha!

From what you have posted about your buying habits, @Annabellethecat66, QVC’s profits will take a tumble🙂

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My brother and I loved hot milk with Ovaltine added to it.  We used Nestle's Nesquik but my mother used unsweetened Hershey's cocoa for the real deal.

Condensed milk and sweetened condensed milk are not the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Remembering way, way back:  My mom always had a teeny-tiny can of milk on the table for their coffee.  Anyone recall the brands?  I can visualize either Pet or Eagle(?) or something very vague.  Maybe Carnation?  

@ROMARY

It's Pet and Carnation. I know because I still use it in my morning coffee. But the cans aren't little anymore, at least not the ones I buy. 

ETA Eagle is a brand name for the condensed milk that another poster mentioned. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

What's wrong w/ salt?

Nothing’s wrong with salt.

Nothing’s wrong with sugar.

Anyone will tell you the additive ‘holy trinity’ of food addiction

is Salt-OIL-Sugar, many using the “SOS” acronym as a meaning

for urgent things to watch for in food addictions. 

The ultimate culprit is Oil (fat).

Salt&Oil, Sugar&Oil. 

With salt & sugar, it’s the company it keeps w/ leads them astray.

Mix stuff with oil/fat....that’s when trouble begins.