Honored Contributor

Who Remembers the Old Fashioned Hot Chocolate With Hersheys?

So I just made myself some hot chocolate.  It's supposed to not have sugar added and it is so sweet I can't drink the stuff.

Who here makes the kind like we used to drink made from Hershey's powdered?

I've bought the really expensive stuff (ordered it on line) and it still has too much sugar.

When I went to Weight Watchers I remember walking in the door and the leader said to each of us, "Sugar or Salt"?  Most are addicted either to sugar or salt.  I'm a salt lover but can't stand much sugar.  Put a bag of potato chips in front of me and look out, but I'll turn down anything sweet.

Can anyone tell me how to make the kind of hot chocolate with just Hershey's cocoa mix?  Should I just buy it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Who Remembers the Old Fashioned Hot Chocolate With Hersheys?

What's wrong w/ salt?

Honored Contributor

I only make hot chocolate w/milk.  Never used water in my life!  I didn't grow up making it like that.  Still use Hersey powder.

I only add marshmellows in the winter time.  Don't know why! confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I use milk and real chocolate.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac Yes!  I only use milk too.  I guess I'll just get the Hershey's cocoa mix.

I just wondered if someone here had fool proof recipe like how many spoonfulls to use.  

I guess it's trial and error.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Real milk in hot cocoa/chocolate.  I'm the one who adds a dollop of peanut butter in mine.  Also in coffee with milk.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Mz iMac Yes!  I only use milk too.  I guess I'll just get the Hershey's cocoa mix.

I just wondered if someone here had fool proof recipe like how many spoonfulls to use.  

I guess it's trial and error.  Thanks.

I use Hershey's Cocoa Mix and whole milk. The number of spoonfuls of cocoa mix depend on how chocolaty you like your hot chocolate. The more spoonfuls, the richer the flavor.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Have you tried the Hershey’s powder for baking that doesn’t have sugar added?  You could add your own amount of sugar to your own liking.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies Yes!  That's what I was thinking I was going to try.  I'm sure the recipe is on the label.  Doesn't seem like brain surgery....does it?  Ha!

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...I'm going to only buy things I KNOW I'll use.  Starting with hot chocolate.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  I can tell you how a neighbor made it, but you will have to tweek the amounts yourself

Take some cocoa powder, unsweetened, and mix it with sugar.  Use condensed milk to make a paste, make sure everything is well mixed and be generous with the milk. Then take boiling  water and pour into the cup, mix well

That should be make a paste with boiling water .and then add the condensed milk. The condensed milk will give it a richer taste, than just using regular milk