Honored Contributor

Re: Who Remembers These Stores.....

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

EJ Korvettes...I worked there for 3 years in the mid 1970s...they had a great record department!

Bambergers

Strawbridges...a Philadelphia department store

Wanamakers..another Philadelphia dept. store

Lots of others already mentioned. Smiley Happy

@haddon9 My Mom worked part time nights at EJ Korvettes in the Woman's department in the Cedarbrook Mall in the mid 70's. I think she spent most of the $$ she made buying clothes for me! At the time, I wore a size 3 petite and that size was difficult to find back then, so as new items would come in she would grab one in that size for me. Korvette's had great clothes. 

@FlyersGirl I worked at the one across from the Moorestown Mall In NJ.  I had a lot of fun working there...I was just out of high school and had a group of friends who worked there.  We would go out after work...fun times!

Trusted Contributor

Another long gone store that I loved was Drug Emporium. OMG, better than a Sephora or Ulta. Hair care, makeup, regular drug supplies, stationery, munchies, an awesome fragrance counter. I could spend hours in that store. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

This area of WV has never had a Jack in the Box.   

We used to have 3 Long John Silvers within a short drive of home, but all shut down several years ago.   On a recent trip to Roanoke, VA, we passed a Long John Silvers around lunch time and saw they were open and busy.   

From what I heard, local management and staff were the major reasons behind the closure of these restaurants.   

@RedTop , we still have a Long John Silvers about 5 minutes from me.  I haven't been there in years.

Esteemed Contributor

Other stores it took me a while to remember:

Annie Sez

Bolton's.

Syms (designer duds dor less)

Not sure if they are region specific.  I stayed in Annie Sez.  Nice designer duds for less.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Super Contributor

HL Green's

Rockaway Sales

Two Guys

Clothing Town

Shoe Town

Caldors

Bambergers

Deb Shop

Epsteins

Hanes

Esteemed Contributor

@EZ shopper wrote:

HL Green's

Rockaway Sales

Two Guys

Clothing Town

Shoe Town

Caldors

Bambergers

Deb Shop

Epsteins

Hanes

Yep, I remember Bamberger's....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Two Guys were the original Supercenters here in NJ. You could buy anything there. They had groceries, a pet shop, a restaurant, a full hardware/lumber store, car repairs, a full furniture department, along with the "normal" department store stuff. They put Walmart Supercenters to shame. Even the biggest Walmart is smaller than Two Guys stores were.

Those stores were huge and kept extremely cold in the summer. They had air conditioning and by God they wanted everyone to know it. It was the kind of store where you took a jacket with you on even the hottest day as the temp inside would be in the fifties. You'd adjust to the cold after a while inside, but then when you came out it was like walking into a furnace. Neat stores though. We had one in Vineland and another in Cherry Hill. I was probably in the Vineland one a few hundred times in my younger days. I can still pretty much see it in my head as if it still existed. It was the shopping destination for much of South Jersey.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I worked at a POLSKYS department store in the early 70's.

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

Another long gone store that I loved was Drug Emporium. OMG, better than a Sephora or Ulta. Hair care, makeup, regular drug supplies, stationery, munchies, an awesome fragrance counter. I could spend hours in that store. 

We still have one and I love going in there. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Neisner's (Five and Dime)

J.L. Hudson Company

Crowleys

@Pearlee 

I definitely remember Winkelman's--that's who gave me my first credit card!