Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Remembers These Stores.....

@beckyb1012  Yes, you did say Woolworth's.

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

Well don't be surprised.  I only remember 2, plus some of the chain stores already listed which would be Service Merchandise and the Five and Dimes which I guess were nation wide.

Dept stores?  Boston Store and John A Brown (I think used to be Brown Duncan).  Even second largest cities in some states only had maybe a couple of big department stores, and maybe a catalog store or two like Sears, Pennys or Montgomery Ward.

Where I lived people shopped out of catalogs or tiny local stores and only people with a lot of money (which was few) shopped at department stores.  And I'm talking the larger two cities in a state.  Cities with bus services and a larger population. . . and most people went "downtown" infrequently. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I am surprised.  I didn't grow up where we had  Bullock's, Filene's, I Magnin or Wanamakers but I had heard of these stores and also others that were in other parts of the country,  Not sure where, maybe in books,newspapers, in a movie, on TV.   

Honored Contributor

Hills, Gold Circle, Zayres (sp?), Ames.

I remember A&P and Edwards grocery stores.

There was also a local family owned business that had 3 women's stores.  They were called Ted Jacobs.  I loved those stores. One of the stores carried wedding/bridal and the other stores were all women's clothing from casual to business and some more formal.  They had jewelry, handbags and a beauty counter.  I specifically remember they carried Estee Lauder but I don't remember if they carried anything else.     

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

This area of WV has never had a Jack in the Box.   

We used to have 3 Long John Silvers within a short drive of home, but all shut down several years ago.   On a recent trip to Roanoke, VA, we passed a Long John Silvers around lunch time and saw they were open and busy.   

From what I heard, local management and staff were the major reasons behind the closure of these restaurants.   

Valued Contributor

Florsheim?   I only remembered that becaus my dad would get his wingtips there.  

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

In New York does anyone remember a store called "Petite Sophisticate?"  I loved shopping at that store.  They were kind of pricey at the time but it was wonderful for me because a lot of other stores different have petite length pants and such.

I spent a lot of money in Petite Sophisticate.

Also, Century 21 is another store I remember.

@gertrudecloset  Yes, I remember "Petite Sophisicate". I'm short and they had great fitting pants as you say.

Do you remember "Maryann's". That was another great store to browse and you could always find something nice.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember Picadilly?

It was a clothes store/boutique in California malls in the 70s.

In high school, I bought a navy longsleeve shirt that had classic movie titles embroidered in silver metallic thread.

I loved that shirt.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

In New York does anyone remember a store called "Petite Sophisticate?"  I loved shopping at that store.  They were kind of pricey at the time but it was wonderful for me because a lot of other stores different have petite length pants and such.

@gertrudecloset  Yes, I remember "Petite Sophisicate". I'm short and they had great fitting pants as you say.

Do you remember "Maryann's". That was another great store to browse and you could always find something nice.Smiley Happy

@Queen of shop  don't think I remember Maryann's.  I remember Strawberry (cheap clothes) which I was known to frequent for trendy going out stuff.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Queen of shop wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Queen of shop  don't think I remember Maryann's.  I remember Strawberry (cheap clothes) which I was known to frequent for trendy going out stuff.

Yes, "Strawberry". Wow. I haven't thought about that store in years. LOL. Also "Carousel", "Joyce Leslie" and "Mandees".