Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Who Remembers These Stores.....

@gardenman wrote:

There was a two-store chain called Almart in Delaware. They were one of the original anchor stores of Concord Mall and had a second store on Kirkwood Highway. They were the earliest store in the area to put out Christmas stuff. They'd typically have a big lawn and garden closeout sale over the Fourth of July weekend and the Christmas stuff would then start coming out and be put on display. By this time of year they'd have their full Christmas selection out and on sale.  They were a neat store in that each store also had a large pet store and greenhouse on-site. Several of our cats came from Almart along with many fish and way too many houseplants.

@gardenman I live in Northern Delaware and I remember Almart from when I was little.  I also remember Wilmington Dry Goods which had a second store in the Midway shopping center then moved to a mega site in Elsmere which is now a BJ's.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset  most of those you mentioned I remember from New York. Loved sitting at the counter of Woolworth´s wating for a grill cheese sandwich.

Went to Alexanders in Yonkers with my two year old son and my mom. Looking at some clothes, with my son sitting at my feet next to the spinning rack. Then I couldn´t find him. Security locked all the doors and in the mean time I´m screaming my head off. Next we heard someone say, ¨is this your son¨. He took a nap under the rack of clothes. What a relief it was to see my son. Never went back to that Store again. It only took about 10-15 minutes but it seemed like forever.

Respected Contributor

In new england
Filenes
Jordan Marsh
Touraines
Cherry &Webb
Ann & Hope
Stuarts
Mammoth Mart
Caldor (they had a brown rainbow as signage)
Fisher's Big Wheel
Lots of mill stores and outlets
Dexter shoes
Converse outlet
KitteryTrading Post

Most of the LongIsland Stores - Johns Bargain Store just closed last yr in my hometown on LI

Florida
Burdines Dept Store
Kings

Surely there were others my mom dragged us to in the 60s she was the og shopaholic
Esteemed Contributor

My favorite store of all time is Wannamaker's.  Loved it.  When I was a little kid, we always were at Korvettes, and I still have a doll that came from there and she has moved with me my entire life.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Southern California

Yes, Bullocks.....Pasadena store had a lunchroom and also sold fabric.  Beautiful store, now a Macy's

i. magnin was next door

Broadway

There was a store called Nash's...not sure if it was a chain.  

Robinsons....I miss that one

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

When I was growing up Woolworth was the store for 5 & dime plus they had a snack bar and we would stop after school for french fries.  I really miss Woolworth because you could always find something you needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering which Store was known as the 5 and dime. My aunts always refered to it as 5 and dime but for me it was Woolworth. Took me forever to realize that it was the same Store.

Respected Contributor

G.C. Murphy's

5-7-9 

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

B. Altman

Franklin Simon

Peck & Peck

Korvette's

All NYC stores that I really liked.  Long gone.

@kaydee50  I bought my wedding gown at Franklin Simon.  

Honored Contributor

Only heard of Woolworths.  These must be regional.

Honored Contributor

Growing up in WNY I remember Montgomery Ward, Two Guys, Ohrbachs, Kresges, Woolworths, JW Newberry ....

In So Cal, I recall Joseph Magnin, Bullocks, Adrays, I Magnin, Gumps, Bullocks, Robinsons, May Co, ....  boy, I still miss Bullocks and Adray's.     sigh