Valued Contributor

Re: Who Remembers These Stores.....

Woolworth's I remember from my childhood. When I earned any money I would walk there and buy something. 

My all time favorite store would be Marshall Field's on State Street in Chicago. My mother would take me there in the 50's when I was really small. When I was old enough, I would go shopping there on Saturdays. I loved that store and riding the escalators!

Trusted Contributor

Woolworths,Sears, JCP and Wards. Mom shopped mostly the Spiegle catalog or sewed my clothes.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom worked for Woolworth and I worked for Buster Brown. I loved Gimbles and here in Pittsburg area we had a store Kaufmanns. 

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up Woolworth was the store for 5 & dime plus they had a snack bar and we would stop after school for french fries.  I really miss Woolworth because you could always find something you needed.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Ben Franklin's "dime store". 

I went there all through the 50s and 60s.  I remember that's where I went for angora yarn to wrap around my boyfriends ring when we went steady.  They sold it by the foot in all different colors.

ring.png

Man plans. God laughs.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes, I remember so many of these stores.

I grew up in NJ, and some stores I haven't seen mentioned yet are:

Tepper's

Steinbach's

Two Guys

Great Eastern Mills (known as Great Eastern)

Bradley's

There were also all sorts of smaller stores at the mall when they began opening up in the early 70's.  So many shops for us teen girls, it was such a wonderful event being driven by your parents (usually Mom) to the mall, and being able to roam free and shop. 

Loved Woolworth's.  Got my very first 45 record there which my Grandma bought for me.  I remember it was 'Help' by the Beatles w/ 'I'm Down' on the B side.  Best gift ever!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have fond memories of shopping at many of those New York stores. 
Loved going to Abraham and Strauss (A&S) in Manhassett and eating lunch in their dining room.

I worked at Alexander's Dept. Store on Lexington and 59th Street in NYC. Bloomingdales is across the street still today. I was in the Barton's candy kiosk. Fun job during high school and college days. Took a bus and 2 subway trains to get there for $1.65 an hour!

Also, after college , moved to Miami and worked at W.T. Grants until I could get my first teaching job at Coconut Grove Elementary.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @caroln242 , I was racking my brain trying to remember Ben Franklin to add to my list and just couldn't do it.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush 

Kindred souls: my first job in high school was the candy counter at Woolworth's also ( outside Philadelphia).

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

B. Altman

Franklin Simon

Peck & Peck

Korvette's

All NYC stores that I really liked.  Long gone.