Super Contributor

Re: Who Is In Need Of A Cause?

It's time to take mental illness more seriously. Too many people people with disorders are not being taken seriously,

"It's just a phase he/she will outgrow it."

or

"All he/she needs is a break"

or

"Just ignore it, all he/she wants is attention."

Super Contributor

Ok I agree with helping the mentally unstable - I've only been here for the past 1/2 hour or so-didn't understand your opening statement - that some are making just about anything political.

Although I have seem some misinformation on other issues.

Regular Contributor

On 1/19/2014 JaneMarple said:
On 1/19/2014 Animal Lover said:

How is murdering your children not be tended to?

Did these people not have insurance?

Spit it out.

MENTALLY ILL

OK, mentally ill.

So again what is your point? Is this about health insurance or gun control??{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Cakers1 said:

Ok I agree with helping the mentally unstable - I've only been here for the past 1/2 hour or so-didn't understand your opening statement - that some are making just about anything political.

Although I have seem some misinformation on other issues.

It's sobering don't you think? I have a friend whose son is bipolar and has schizophrenia and he has insurance. Her hands are tied because he doesn't take his meds and is prone to violent outbursts. He is allowed to sign himself out of the hospital even though he threatened a nurse. SMH

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Contributor

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hades of ever getting a handle on this problem because there are now more mentally ill people than sane people.

Super Contributor

I don't know animal lover...

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 bikerbabe said:

Mental health care is dismal in this country, sometimes even when you have insurance. Without knowing the details in a specfic situation I will not assume whether there was a failure in health care or a failure in loved ones to recognize signs that something was wrong. There are also some cases when someone snaps with little or no obvious warning signs.

Good points.

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Opurrra said:

Adam Lanza was wealthy. Who do we blame for what he did? His mother? The System? His father who was living elsewhere and not involved? His teachers? His schools? Who, who?

I think everything you mentioned..the health system for the most part. (sigh)

Honored Contributor

Mental illness falls among all socio-economic groups, many families ignore the signs while others wring their hands in frustration when no help is available.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Animal Lover said:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

You can't force a mentally ill person to take their medications. You can't lock them in an attic. You can't force them off the street if they don't want to be helped in a shelter.

What is your solution to the problem Jane?

Exactly. You can't reason with insanity.