Regular Contributor

Re: Who Can Still Remember..........

My numbers were FLushing 8 and HIckory 5 I lived in Flushing Queens NY

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A wee bit older than some of you, as a child, I lived in a very small (at that time) town.  We had what was called a "party line" (shared with other unrelated households), and our number was "77R."

Everyone was on a party line.  If someone from the other household was on the line, you had to wait until they hung up for you to make your call.  

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

A wee bit older than some of you, as a child, I lived in a very small (at that time) town.  We had what was called a "party line" (shared with other unrelated households), and our number was "77R."

Everyone was on a party line.  If someone from the other household was on the line, you had to wait until they hung up for you to make your call.  

Do you remember the operator saying "Number, please."

I remember my home phone number and both of my grandmas'. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

@Cakers3 
NOPE I don't remember the Monkees shoes, but I do remember my Beatles sneakers black and white with all their faces all over the entire sneaker! I was 6.  I also remember Paul's dead. My sister was screaming crying. I thought it was my next door neighbor Paul and I went hysterical 😩 crying. my mom had to explain that it was Ringo's friend Paul, not my neighbor 😝 Ringo was my favorite Beatle.

@KBEANS  I don't remember the Monkee shoes but I found that looking for the Thom McAn Liverpool T's shoes during the 1960's with the Beatle mania.  I couldn't find a pic but I still remember the jingle from the radio commercial.

Ringo was my favorite, too because John was married and Paul and George had girlfriends.  I figured I had a better chance with Ringo.  LOL

I remember one time when Paul McCartney was on David Letterman and DL asked Paul if he and the other Beatles were all nice to Ringo.  LOL

Did you mean the rumor that Paul was dead??  I remember conspiracies that Paul was dead and some were based on the album covers of Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.

@Cakers3   Oh, the "Paul is dead conspiracy" had everyone in hysterics for days. 

If I remember correctly, it was based on Paul having no shoes on while walking across Abbey Road and on one of the songs, if  you played the ending backwards, it said "Paul is dead."  I remember the DJs playing it repeatedly and then having fans phone in to discuss.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grailseeker,

I certainly do remember that the operator was part of each and every call.  Thank you for mentioning that.

So long ago...

ETA:  I also remember the discomfort when you picked up the phone to make a call and one of the other parties was on the line.  You'd hear what they were saying. 

Super Contributor

I remember when our phone number was just four digits.  That was a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

I have not looked at the full thread.  Just wondering if anyone included Tangee lipstick.  That was my first lipstick, and I would sneak it on after leaving my house when I was in junior high school (known as middle school today).  Forbidden to wear makeup, I surreptitiously bought a tube of this fragrant lipstick that I wore only at school.  There was one shade, as I recall.  Such a yummy smell!

Tangee Lipstick at The Vermont Country Store

Respected Contributor

@golding76   I just saw an ad in Vermont Country Store for Tangee lipstick.  It is still available but probably not the same formula as long ago.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

Here are the pop beads that I remember.  I found a site that sells them.  1/2 lb. for $5.78.  I think the ones we had were sold so much... for so many...  And, I don't imagine these are as thick as the former ones.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

I remember mine, my best friend's (who lived 3 houses down from me,) and my Spiegel credit card number, which was my very first credit card. Memories...

F/N/A luvstogarden